So ive heard lots of good things about cortina but I really wanna know what its all about and whether its worth the extra travelling time.

Whats the tree skiing policy like these days?

How much more snowfall does it actually get compared to other hakuba resorts?

How long do you have at the weekends before its all tracked out?

Cheers.

I like it there. If you don't have wheels it is a pain to get there. Also, the lifts higher up open later than the bottom ones... and on big snow days not at all. If you go all the way out there and the top lifts are not running its not really all that fun. Unfortunately, because they open at different times you are unlikely to find out if they are closed until you get there. The tree policy is pretty relaxed. It might get a little more snow than other places but that is debatable. On weekends, once all the lifts are running it'll be mostly tracked out by lunch time. It's also really busy on long weekends (like everywhere else). TBH, if I didn't have my own car I probably won't go out there too often because it's such a trek.

how is it more of a pain to get to by public transport than any other resort? A free bus collects you from the train - you don't get that at Hakuba.

Since 2 or more years ago it's been an off-piste free for all. As for the snow, that's probably like saying it rains more in north London.

how is it more of a pain to get to than any other resort? A free bus collects you from the train - you don't get that at Hakuba.

Since 2 or more years ago it's been an off-piste free for all.

Most people don't stay anywhere near the train station so that is not a convenient option at all. If you are in Echoland you have to take two different shuttle buses. It's also way further away from all of the other resorts. It is absolutely the biggest pain of any resort in Hakuba if you don't have a car.

Its also been an off-piste free for all for a lot longer than 2 years... that doesn't diminish the fact that its annoying to get to without a car.

does that happen at other resorts around the world? Can't they just manage the snow that's there? It seems ridiculous to me that a ski resort closes down because there is too much snow

Managing the snow would probably mean controlled avalanches... which would run right down onto the main beginner runs... The main area is basically a huge bowl. Maybe they could do something but its such a small place it would probably mean all areas of the resort would be effected.

Its also been an off-piste free for all for a lot longer than 2 years...

A friend of mine got his ticket confiscated in 2009, so it can't have been a free-for-all THAT much longer than 2 years.

If you're based in Hakuba I agree getting there by train would be a pain, but one of the lodges was doing a direct bus which anyone could book on to.

I like it there. If you don't have wheels it is a pain to get there. Also, the lifts higher up open later than the bottom ones... and on big snow days not at all. If you go all the way out there and the top lifts are not running its not really all that fun. Unfortunately, because they open at different times you are unlikely to find out if they are closed until you get there. The tree policy is pretty relaxed. It might get a little more snow than other places but that is debatable. On weekends, once all the lifts are running it'll be mostly tracked out by lunch time. It's also really busy on long weekends (like everywhere else). TBH, if I didn't have my own car I probably won't go out there too often because it's such a trek.

Hey thanks Black Mountain for all your valuable info, appreciate it.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I'll be driving by car from Matsumoto most weekends, with cortina being the furthest away I was wondering if it was worth the extra driving. Sounds like its worth making the trip a few times at least.

Im pretty used to waiting around for the top lifts to open in Japan. Its common in most resorts and and invariably due to the lifts stations having to be dug out from under all the fresh snow to make it safe for skiers getting on and off.

Most resorts are also so understaffed and they often only have a couple of old guys sent up to shovel snow, which can take awhile..........thats when snowshoes come in handy if youre really keen.

New direct bus this year from Hakuba. You need to book the bus in advance and includes transfer/lift/onsen/lunch/dinner.

Another non-direct bus is available but a little slower.

More terrain open for the 2011/2012 season.

Con- somtimes the upper lift not open on powder day.

Pro - the day after a powder can be awesome!

Good news about the direct bus. Does it pick you up at the accommodation or ...? Do you happen to know price Stemik and can you opt out of the extras? Also, what terrain are they opening up? Thanks for the info! The next Hakuburger is on me ;)

Yes the bus will pick you up at

07:30 Echoland - Weather Report

07:40 Mizuho - Nonjays

07:45 Happo - Hakuba Panorama Hotel

07:55 Wadano - Visitor Center

It includes buffet dinner and all you can drink alcohol or soft drinks ! (for 90mins)

The cost is 9,300yen with alcohol or 8,400 with only soft drinks. I don't think you can opt out of any extras.

Not too sure of the terrain they are opening. They told me but I have completely forgotten!

Extra relish on the Hakuburger!

oh forgot to add it's every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Edited by stemik
  • 1 month later...