November 18th at 2.43pm is the official time and date at which you may switch to your snow tires.

Heavy penalties are imposed on those who flaunt the law and switch earlier.

Thanks... oddly specific time but it's great to know. I prefer to get a change over / oil change and ski racks on as early as possible so it really helps.

Twas a joke! ;)

Depends on where you are.

Here in Tokamachi, Niigata - very much a snow country town - I usually get that done early December like muika said.

Haha dooh... :lol: I was wondering. I'm in Tokyo and the tire shops are pretty packed starting in early december so I like to get it done mid-late November, but I don't really want a ticket... though the chances of the Tokyo police stopping me for snowtires seems kind of slim...

If you are only staying in Tokyo you wont need snow tyres, and the police wont stop you for not having snow tyres unless you drive on a motorway with normal tyres when it is snowing.

I will put mine on next week, or rather Mistubishi will, as my car will have it's 12 month service, and they said they will swop the wheels while it is being serviced.

I think I normally change the wheels around the later part of Novemeber.

November 18th at 2.43pm is the official time and date at which you may switch to your snow tires.

Heavy penalties are imposed on those who flaunt the law and switch earlier.

haha! Brilliant post, you made me laugh lots andylaurel! Thankyou!

Snow tires are a softer compound of rubber than normal street tires in order to grip better in colder weather. Using regular tires in winter is like trying to drive a greased pig with ice skates. You can use studless tires in summer but their lifespan will be drastically reduced quicker and possibly making them unsafe for winter. If I recall the bare minimum for snow tires should be no less than 5mm of tread. New tires are usually around 9-10mm. Another thing that many overlook on studless tires is the manufacture date. Since they are softer, they tend to dry rot faster than regular tires from the summer sun. If you are running 10year old tires that look new, you could be at risk. Newer is better.

If your visiting from the city, you can use chains, but make sure they are on the drive axle. If your car is front wheel drive, make sure they go on the front. RWD on the back. Also learn how to put your chains on in good weather. Nothing sucks more than trying to figure out how they work when it is puking snow, or you find out you are missing a part or have broken parts. Also for the Tokyo dwellers, following distance..... give yourself more space between cars than you think. I have had people riding my rear and a near miss when I hit a bad patch of ice. Rear vehicle missed by millimeters.

But on a funnier note. I saw my first winter tire FAIL about a week ago. Japanese dude blocking an intersection with one tire hanging off the hub. *Most important tip for DIY's. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR WHEEL NUTS.