Great wish I would be able to go.

Somehow I thought it might be one of those days. The lull between the snowfalls and fine weather before the heavy snow. Seems to happen from time to time.

Glad you had fun.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But TJ told us that winter was here a few weeks ago, and didn't say anything about it not being here since, and I always believe him.  

Very wintery here in Mooloolaba Qld as I just got home from a night on the pus with my workmates and got the severe cold shoulder from my be-loved hic!

No probs Tubby. Fwiw, I also take issue with folks calling all snow "powder", but that old chestnut can wait till another day.   The sun's trying to break through at the moment in Hakuba so you can

hey muikabochi, is it just the weekend thats going to be mental (from past history) or is it the whole week between xmas and new year? Would it be better hanging back a few days to tuesday or so since i have until the 10th January off?

You forgot the cheese too!

I know!! :doh: What a wally!! I had everything laid out and in the end I left the camera and the cheese!!

Nevermind, next Tuesday I'm back up in Yuzawa, gonna be up at Kagura.....must remember the camera AND the cheese

is it just the weekend thats going to be mental (from past history) or is it the whole week between xmas and new year? Would it be better hanging back a few days to tuesday or so since i have until the 10th January off?

Looks like its going to snow until Monday, easing off on Tuesday and then high pressure moving in towards mid and late next week. The JMA long forecast is going for mild weather in the first week or two of January. Im thinking tuesday looks best and perhaps wednesday for off piste powder and blue skies. After that Id say it will be getting a bit chunky in the sun until the next snowfalls.

cheers gary, was more worried about the crowds though. I just want a run out and a chance to play with my nice new riot. No pow hunting (that will obvioulsy change the second im strapped in), so i dont really mind the conditions.

Oh, also, while im here, budget accomodation, hostels et al? Ill have a look on the site, but usually they sit in the 6-10k range/night. Looking for something closer to 4 or 5.

cheers gary, was more worried about the crowds though. I just want a run out and a chance to play with my nice new riot. No pow hunting (that will obvioulsy change the second im strapped in), so i dont really mind the conditions.

Oh, also, while im here, budget accomodation, hostels et al? Ill have a look on the site, but usually they sit in the 6-10k range/night. Looking for something closer to 4 or 5.

:lol: Thought you meant the mental weekend of weather thats coming up, not the mental crowds! Usually I go up to Hakuba just before New Year and it doesnt tend to get crowded until either New Years eve or the day before and then it gets busy until 2nd or 3rd. Wouldn't surprise me if its fairly quiet around Yuzawa from Monday to Thursday - most poeple wont have that time off work.

Good on you for getting out Tubby. It can be fantastic early season. Cheap tickets, hardly any people, no crappy moguls under that 30cm of fresh or so, just the more funky undulations of the runs. Sometimes little drops by the side as well that will disappear when the second or third storm comes. What more snow gives you is the offpiste. It doesn't really make the runs better, unless you want them smooth for carving.

I wouldn't pay so much attention to the second half of the monthly forecast. I think about ten days is the limit of when they can see things coming. That's plenty of time for a low to develop and head towards Japan.

hey muikabochi, is it just the weekend thats going to be mental (from past history) or is it the whole week between xmas and new year? Would it be better hanging back a few days to tuesday or so since i have until the 10th January off?

Oops sorry I missed this.

I'm not too sure actually as I have usually missed that period going to the lady's family so not much experience.

I would guess that Tuesday will be better though. And hopefully you will have the results of what has fallen over the weekend to play in.

:friend:

tuesday it is then!! :D

Go Wednesday!

wednesday could be a go, I'll have to speak to my mate though and it'll depend on how much snow they get this weekend and if I can wait another day to play in it!!

Glad you had fun Tubby.

I was thinking of you sat here with a spreadsheet open!

I was kicking myself for forgetting my camera because the sun was out all day and the view across to GALA and beyond were pretty spectacular. Actually there was one ridge of heavily blanketed mountains that I wondered about, from Kandatsu you can look back over to Iwappara, and just to the right as you look there is an impressive collection of heavily snowed on mountains, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the names of them. From my vantage point they looked to be almost exactly opposite the main Iwappara slope.....either way very spectacular to look at

Glad you had fun Tubby.

I was kicking myself for forgetting my camera because the sun was out all day and the view across to GALA and beyond were pretty spectacular. Actually there was one ridge of heavily blanketed mountains that I wondered about, from Kandatsu you can look back over to Iwappara, and just to the right as you look there is an impressive collection of heavily snowed on mountains, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the names of them. From my vantage point they looked to be almost exactly opposite the main Iwappara slope.....either way very spectacular to look at

Do you mean the ones kind of on the right side of this?

muikabochi_2328.JPG

Glad you had fun Tubby.

Do you mean the ones kind of on the right side of this?

muikabochi_2328.JPG

yes!

yesterday's views were very similar to the photo...nice n sunny, wispy clouds over a nice blue sky and views all the way across the mountains....sweet! Its one of those days that you can sit back on the lift, enjoy the ride up and remember how great life is! :D

Yes I like those days too. As you no doubt know. ;)

I actually enjoy being on my own some days like that.

I remember one of those days I went to Tenjindaira.

It was just so crazy stunning I sat there for about 20 minutes just.... looking and taking it all in.

I got quite emotional actually.

:thumbsup:

Quite nice today as well actually.