Don't know about you lot, but I'm getting pretty tired of this unseasonably mild weather. When are we going to start seeing snow on the menu, for Hokkaido at least?

Also, I know it's just a waste of energy guessing, but what about your wildly optimistic predictions for the season's snowfall? These seem to be lack on the forums so far this year... hit me.

SdS

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But TJ told us that winter was here a few weeks ago, and didn't say anything about it not being here since, and I always believe him.  

Very wintery here in Mooloolaba Qld as I just got home from a night on the pus with my workmates and got the severe cold shoulder from my be-loved hic!

No probs Tubby. Fwiw, I also take issue with folks calling all snow "powder", but that old chestnut can wait till another day.   The sun's trying to break through at the moment in Hakuba so you can

After autumn finishes and after we pass through that messy 'between autumn and winter' miserable kind of weather stage, I reckon.

Did you not see snowdude's predictions?

With this weather I'm still rockin the cool biz duds. I'm not even into long sleeve mode yet nevermind snow mode. Hokkaido trip is fully booked now though...so I guess that's a start.

I think there's a possibility of reasonable snowfalls to fairly low levels in Hokkaido on 8 Nov for a couple of days. Will keep an eye on it.

In my time in Hokkaido I'd say on average we'd get first snowfalls to low levels around the 2nd week of Nov. Sometimes it would set in with consistent snowfalls to low levels from then and sometimes it would take another couple of weeks or so before it really set in. Last season was very late though with consistent snowfalls to low levels not starting until almost mid Dec. Hopefully this year starts earlier than that.

Took my board down to Kona Surf in Asahikawa for an edge grind and hot wax...

Kurodake is due to open tomorrow, but with approximately 0 (zero) inches of snowbase... well... might hit the piss instead.

People kept telling me how cold Hokkaido is... but now that I'm here... well I thought I'd be riding by now.

#looks at glass, decides it's half full#

Hey GN if I remember correctly your avatar photo was taken early in the season, i remember getting excited when you posted those photos, what time of the year was that?

Actually thmy avatar photo was taken on 10th Feb 2008. It's from the frozen surface of Hangetsu ko (half moon lake) looking back up Yotei.

Here is a photo of Kurodake on 8th Nov 2008. The lifts were open and a group of us went up for some early turns.

gallery_7762_71_329182.jpg

As for the 8th this month it's not looking as cold as I was expecting now. Should be snow up higher but not right down low. That first big winter blast looking a while off yet.

There will probably be no significant snow fall until the 6th Jan (the day I leave after 18 days boarding on grass). My last two trips to Japan (07 & 09) have been memorable for the late snowfall. Throw me overboard now, I am the Jonah of snow. :rolleyes:

There will probably be no significant snow fall until the 6th Jan (the day I leave after 18 days boarding on grass). My last two trips to Japan (07 & 09) have been memorable for the late snowfall. Throw me overboard now, I am the Jonah of snow. :rolleyes:

That's fine by me I arrive on the 15th!!!! Hehehehe :sj-lol:

Well, it's distinctly chilly and wet in downtown Tokyo, so I'm guessing this is at least falling as snow up at higher elevations in the mountains. Hopefully!

Looks like the start of winter proper from next week onwards. Would be great to get some turns in before Christmas.

SdS

Well, it's distinctly chilly and wet in downtown Tokyo, so I'm guessing this is at least falling as snow up at higher elevations in the mountains. Hopefully!

Not in this part of Japan, I'm afraid.

Kagura not showing anything.

I doubt it will see anything more than a dusting up top by this time next week.

So I suppose it depends on what you mean by "the start of winter proper".

I would put the start of winter proper when we get a first proper dump.

Don't need the heater on here really.

Sorry!