GN, any chance of highlighting on a map, like the attached, those recommendations? Bouken Restaurant sounds like a most try, thanks for the recommendations. Not familar with eithier the Barn or Yuichi but like so many places in and around town they can be tucked away in those side streets down in the lower village

http://www.town.kutc...P2009_eng_2.jpg

Bouken is not on that map, it's a little out of Kutchan. They actually offer a pick up service from your accommodation so check with whoever you're staying with to make a reservation. The full name of the restaurant is Japanese Kitchen Bouken.

The Barn is run by the guy who started Wild Bills. He got a bit sick of dealing with drunk Aussies so started a bit more upmarket restaurant/bar with a great chef.

Yuichi Kamimura is the owner and chef at Kamimura. He worked for many years in Sydney under Tetsuya Wakuda of Tetsuya's (one of the best restaurants in Aus). It's a degustation menu and you have a choice between 5, 8, 10 and 12 course menus.

Good to hear it's not overrun with all those fast food places.

The Brick, now there's a good name for a place! :lol:

It's an incredibly ugly, cube like building made entirely of brick run by Wazza. Not 100% sure he'll still be running it this coming winter. He did make a great burger.

That really hurt very muchly.

I wasn't having a go at you, I sincerely enjoy and always look forward to hearing how comfortably well off you are.

Oh so misunderstood.

Just not sure how recommending my favourite restaurants in the area translated into me harping on about my incredible wealth :rolleyes:

Good to hear it's not overrun with all those fast food places.

The Brick, now there's a good name for a place! :lol:

It's an incredibly ugly, cube like building made entirely of brick run by Wazza. Not 100% sure he'll still be running it this coming winter. He did make a great burger.

Not to mention being a total character! :D

Like a few folks have said, grab that booklet sized directory of Niseko, it's got tons of stuff in it.

1. Kamumura

2. The Barn

3. Forgot the name (but it's a little pizza joint that looks kind of like an Izakaya in the south of Hirafu. It was the most southern establishment in Hirafu village when I was there in Jan 2010)

Kamimura's is haute cuisine with strong French and Japanese influences. The chef was trained by Tetsuya, from the restaurant of the same name in Sydney. In my opinion his is the most stimulating food in Niseko. Make sure to book ahead, and drop around 10,000 - 20,000 JPY per head.

The Barn is another French influenced establishment and feels more like a brasserie. Nice food, nice wine. It's not cheap, but it's not as expensive as Kamimura's either.

That pizza joint in the south of the village was a great find. I had a great time and it was the first, and still only, time I've had a pizza in Japan that tasted like a real pizza. The chef travels to Italy once a year for CPD. It's also the only time I've had good olives in Japan. This place, IMO, is better than Niseko Pizza. I really enjoyed this place.

A lot of the suggestions thusfar have been for Hirafu or Kutchan-based restaurants, which misses out on the much closer and awesome cuisine in Annupuri.

- Del Sole: Japanese guy goes to Europe to learn to make pizza. Returns, blows people's mind.

- Rakuichi soba: Meet the master of buckwheat noodles. To quote a funny guide in the area, "This is where Frodo goes to eat soba." Better value for lunch.

- Karabina: I think it's run by the son of the guy who runs Rakuichi. Nextdoor, and terrific izakaya style food and chill atmosphere.

- Cafe Grove: Good, not too expensive, cafe atmosphere with izakaya-ish Japanese food.

Those top 3 will cost you a bit more than other "typical" restaurants, but they're worth the money and time to get out there.

If you can make your way into Niseko town proper, a bit further out, Hanayoshi is one of the best sushi places in the area.

As with anywhere, reserve, and reserve early. Work with the guys at BDL to figure out what's most convenient for you and them from where they are. I don't know if they run shuttle or anything, but I know they'll take care of you.

Pelican Burger is normally closed over the winter months though. The guys who own it also own Gyu bar (the one with the fridge door) and they are usually too busy with this to keep both businesses running over winter.

Onji the pizza place, was it Yummy's?

I should also mention Ezo Seafoods. Some of the best fresh seafood in town. The oysters are amazing.

• 1 month later...

GN, any chance of highlighting on a map, like the attached, those recommendations? Bouken Restaurant sounds like a most try, thanks for the recommendations. Not familar with eithier the Barn or Yuichi but like so many places in and around town they can be tucked away in those side streets down in the lower village

http://www.town.kutc...P2009_eng_2.jpg

Bouken is not on that map, it's a little out of Kutchan. They actually offer a pick up service from your accommodation so check with whoever you're staying with to make a reservation. The full name of the restaurant is Japanese Kitchen Bouken.

The Barn is run by the guy who started Wild Bills. He got a bit sick of dealing with drunk Aussies so started a bit more upmarket restaurant/bar with a great chef.

Yuichi Kamimura is the owner and chef at Kamimura. He worked for many years in Sydney under Tetsuya Wakuda of Tetsuya's (one of the best restaurants in Aus). It's a degustation menu and you have a choice between 5, 8, 10 and 12 course menus.

Is that pick up service from accomm in kutchan or hirafu?

I like Kakashi. Ate at the Vale last Feb, that was pricey but nice. Here is a good guide:

http://www.powderhounds.com/Japan/Hokkaido/Niseko/Food-Nightlife.aspx

As far as bars go, nothing beats a beer machine, a bucket filled with snow and a nice quiet onsen. Without a doubt the worst bar in Niseko is the Pow bar, what a complete bunch of dolts filled that place last time I was there.

GN, how much of the Hirafu village stays open throughout the year? Does most of the restauranst and bars close after winter?

A fair portion close but enough stay open that you still have a reasonable choice. Some places will close in April and then reopen in summer then close again for a couple of months in autumn and reopen in winter. Some places have given it a go at remaining open all year and it hasn't been worth it in the warmer months so haven't done it in following years. Depends on the owners at the end of the day. Hirafu as a summer destination is growing slowly. It has always been popular with school groups doing summer sport camps but they always stay in the bigger hotels so don't exactly contribute anything to the smaller operators.