OK so I have had Wowow for quite a long time now but even though with the big fanfare of going to 3hd channels, I haven't been watching it much of late and a quick look through the months line up and I don't feel there's much there.

Wondering about Star Channel. They have 3 hd channels, I know one is Japanese but they seem to have a stronger lineup. It's a bit cheaper at 2100 yen a month (rather than Wowow at 2415 yen).

Not interested in going out and renting or downloading and stuff like that, but I do like a good selection of movies on my recorder so I can have a choice whenever.

Any thoughts?

I agree about Wowow it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be right now. Thought that might just be me wanting only movies!

If you are choosing between those two, I would go with Star if it's movies you want.

The ones in the Skyperfect pack are ok, but take a long long time to get new movies. Star is much quicker with new movies.

We've had wowwow for years and years. I agree with Big-will....they seem kinda lost in their direction these days. Also, they seem to have more (than before) movies that are dubbed in only Japanese. I do like the new performance channel....me being a musician and all. I'm going to look into star channel, too.

Thanks for the tips folks, might make the move.

Here's another related question.

I will have the 2 skypa tuner rental machine that has I thing 350GB of space. Am also looking for a new DVD/BluRay player and would like to be able to record over to that with a LAN connection from the tuner machine. That possible? And if so, is it user-friendly and can I view back the recorded programs directly from the DVD/BluRay or do I need to watch them via the skyperfect tuner? That make sense?

Thanks for the tips folks, might make the move.

Here's another related question.

I will have the 2 skypa tuner rental machine that has I thing 350GB of space. Am also looking for a new DVD/BluRay player and would like to be able to record over to that with a LAN connection from the tuner machine. That possible? And if so, is it user-friendly and can I view back the recorded programs directly from the DVD/BluRay or do I need to watch them via the skyperfect tuner? That make sense?

This is the setup I have.

Possible.... yes.

User friendly... pretty much yes.

You can view back via the tuner... or you can watch the recorded programmes directly from the DVD player if you want.

Well, you can with the setup that I have.

:)

Via the skyperfect tuner, you get a list. A list that can get very long if you record a lot. So not ideal.

But if you watch from the DVD player, you can stick them in folders and sort them all out that way. Much better.

Again, only commenting on my setup which is a Sharp Aquos DVD/Blu-ray.

It's doing it's job and it is easy to use (though no English menu system as far as I can tell).

My previous one was a Toshiba and I did not like that at all. Slow, unresponsive and clunky menu systems I thought. It really put me off Toshiba.

What are those embarrassingly bad channels that are in the pack? Universal and Fox Movies? They really are poooooor. Every now and again they have a decent movie to show and then show it about twice a day for 3 months! :lol:

The rest of it is crappy "Spider Eating Man" type movies that absolutely no one has ever heard of.