I will be in Hokkaido until January 27 and then again Feb 9 - 17 and I am really keen on exploring the lift accessed backcountry at Asahidake for a day or two.

It looks truly epic.

The problem for me is I am not keen on doing a solo mission exploring the area. If anyone one with backcountry knowledge and experience, and has and knows how to use the proper equipment is keen to hook up to explore the area together, during the time I am in Hokkaido it would be fantastic.

Another option which I would perfer is to hire a guide/guiding service for a day trip at Asahidake, but usually guiding services require a minimum of 4 people, maximum of 6.

This means I need to find at least 3 more people who are keen to do this with me. From my research, guiding tours cost in the vicinity of 15,000 - 17,000 yen per person and usually includes transportation (from Furano) and saftey equipment.

Anyone interested in either meeting up to explore Asahidake backcountry/sidecountry together, or join me on a tour post here over that time.

Here is a pic taken at Asahidake, thanks to Mick Rich

Mick%20Rich_43.JPG

Hey Sand, I might be interested in doing something as I'm planning to be in Furano during Feb. That said, I don't have any bc equipment :blush: and my bc experience is limited to short hikes the other side of the ropes, so I'd probably not be your first and/or wisest choice as a bc partner! :lol:

Nice photo btw ;)

Sweet DiGriz, that means finding two more, would you be keen to join a tour Mick?

I will most likely be at the SnowJapan Tokyo meet up DiGriz, so can meet you there in Nov.

Anyone else interested in a possibly truly epic day of riding fresh lines in Feb (Jan could be also possible)?

edit: very nice photo ;)

Sweet DiGriz, that means finding two more, would you be keen to join a tour Mick?

Yeah, depending on dates, cost, etc, though my winter plans aren't finalised yet. I'm also hoping to join the Tokyo meet so we can chat more then! :cheers:

I could only do it during a weekday, unfortunately. I'm a bit limited in how often I can take weekends off, so I save that for overseas trips.

What the hell, AlexL, guides have to eat & pay rent too. 15-17k to keep you alive is pretty cheap.

Is that with HPG? I went on a private tour with them a few years ago. I think it was worth the money. Anyone who can read a map and has half-decent direction sense could probably Asahidake side country without a guide though, but it doesn't hurt to have one!

It's overpriced. You pay it if you thnk it's fair.

It may be overpriced, but if it's the going rate then tough luck that's what you gotta pay, or go without.

Is that with HPG? I went on a private tour with them a few years ago. I think it was worth the money. Anyone who can read a map and has half-decent direction sense could probably Asahidake side country without a guide though, but it doesn't hurt to have one!

HPG was one I was looking at yeah. I know I can probably do it myself, it's just the safety aspect of it, going alone, that I'm not too keen on.

Tokyo SJ meet up sounds all good to continue these discussions in more detail. Anyone else interested in Asahidake?

I skied Asahidake on my own.

Whiteout for the top third of the mountain with no idea where I was going made the day pass ``overpriced'' in the sense that I didn't get much out of it -- until a very nice guide with two customers gave me a tip to a run for my last four trips up and back. Wish I could've met him later at the base to at least buy him a beer or two, but I suspect he was still taking his two customers down even better stuff.

Flight to Asahikawa -- Y22,000

Car rental -- Y7,500

Day Pass - Y4,000

Four runs of steep, untracked, waist-deep powder -- PRICELESS!

Would I pay Y15-17k for a full day with that guide? In a freakin' heartbeat.