Iiyama... You're too desensitised. For those of us who have to pay lots of money and travel half way around the world to get decent snow, we love seeing it starting, especially if it indicates the weather changing

Perhaps a little. But then again I get more excited than anyone when the snow is on it's way... after all, I can ride it much earlier than you. :p

But I don't get excited about 3cm that will be followed by 0cm. Wasnt really a few weeks back when we had it, not this time either. We're still at least a month away.

Always good to see it coming even if from far away!

I'm too busy to think about it right now. I hope by the end of November I'll be ready to slow down a bit. Determined to get an earlier start this season. Last year was a very short one for me what with the late start and March 11th.

Nowt wrong with a bit of stoke. You get excited mate! They'll probably have something open in six weeks time, even if its just a bit of manmade.

I didn't realize until I jotted some numbers down, but barring some Air Asia/Jetstar superdeal on the flights, a family of four coming internationally to ski in Japan is going to spend getting on for one million yen even if they stay at a cheap place. That's a lot of commitment, which needs to be backed by a lot of enthusiasm.

the inside of my house has just dropped below 20 degrees for the first time since i moved in. Its currently at 22.7, but this morning when i woke up it was 19.8. Thats about a 4 degree drop from a couple of weeks ago, so good to see :)

We are having problems getting up - and going for a few hours drive.

If you have to go halfway around the world, why not Europe if you are itchin so much for snow.

We had snow on 8th Oct. (only few lifts running) and had 25cm just yesterday.

Saw the prediction of snow at resort level and it gets me excited too. First lifts could be as close as a month away now. Hopefully.

Holidays can be expensive. Some good airfares around though Mr. Wiggles. Saw flights return from the UK for 430 ponds recently. Perth had air asia for about 500 bucks last week. 50000 yen return from KL also.

7 days for a family of 4 could start around 120000 yen for lift passes. Cheap accom for 120000 yen. Another 70000 for food. Transfers for 80000. Rental gear if you don't have your own 80000. Sticking within the budget is the main thing as it can easily blow out. The airlines are a perfect example where they start with the bare minimum and then upsell. Next thing you know you are flying premium economy or business class

Family holidays when I was growing up were the most memorable times for me. Mainly the Gold and Sunshine coasts in Queensland. I would much prefer to spend my money on a holiday with my kids than a new TV or computer game.

for all the breaking news, i know everyone runs for my house update, so here it is:

The last two days have seen the humidity in my house surge (along with the (christ knows where theyre hiding) fruit fly population). Temperatures have been well into the mid 20s peaking at 26.5 at around 8pm last night.

TJ

Its good to get information out to people and to help them save money since that's a priority for many.

I only mentioned the number because the cost of coming to ski in Japan may be much higher than you would initially think if you already live in Japan. It must be a big thing for people. Not that there's anything wrong with folks spending money of course, least of all on holidays.

Changing the subject slightly, I'm sure if you asked most people connected to ski resorts that get non-Japanese customers, "when do Australians start checking the weather in your town?" they wouldn't say "October". If any are reading this, perhaps this should be considered when the resort decides to start putting up some winter info or turning on the webcams. I think its what's called a marketing opportunity.

for all the breaking news, i know everyone runs for my house update, so here it is:

The last two days have seen the humidity in my house surge (along with the (christ knows where theyre hiding) fruit fly population). Temperatures have been well into the mid 20s peaking at 26.5 at around 8pm last night.

dude.......check behind your bins, look for little seed-like things, they are the fly eggs....bleach the shit outta there and that should solve ur problem

From the looks of the Kagura cam, a sprinkling up top there. Similar to how it looked around 3rd October.

Stopped raining here round town, it has been a dark day all the way through. Can't see anything white from here. Apart from my t-shirt and the neighbours car.

I checked the Shiga cams first thing this morning and saw a dusting on the roof and ground at Takamagahara, and the window frosted up at Yokote.... It made my day...

I know it's probably melted now, but when it really starts pumping, checking the cams is what helps me get through the stinking hot summer days here (counting down the days til I'm there to ride it). Fortunately I'll be in Air Con this summer at work, rather than a scorching warehouse, but I look forward to it nonetheless.