any male who has played competitive sports shouldn't be uncofortable with being in the scuddy........surely you showered after your game right? Onsens are the same....naked is great!!

True Tubs and I am fine with it after big communal baths at the footy club, but it's funny how it's not unusual for someone in your ski group to be uncomfortable with it.

I guess you don't really truly know someone until they are put in that position being nude amongst strangers.Go figure?

I told her to man up or else get out of the onsen & go next door with the other women.

any male who has played competitive sports shouldn't be uncofortable with being in the scuddy........surely you showered after your game right? Onsens are the same....naked is great!!

True Tubs and I am fine with it after big communal baths at the footy club, but it's funny how it's not unusual for someone in your ski group to be uncomfortable with it.

I guess you don't really truly know someone until they are put in that position being nude amongst strangers.Go figure?

I told her to man up or else get out of the onsen & go next door with the other women.

:bumtish:

• 2 weeks later...

Try Kusatsu, Tripler. I haven't been there in a while but used to be pretty cool. Minakami also has some charm

I checked out Kusatsu and Minakami last week. I see what you mean about Nozawa being more of a 1970s onsen town compared to Kustatsu which has more traditional wooden buildings. But everything looks so new - fresh coats of paint and fashionable boutiques. The place is obviously full of $$$ - very unJapanese! :)

That's in complete contrast to Minakami, which has seen better days and almost no traditional buildings. I don't mind the Japanese run down thing, but some of those huge hotels it was hard to believe they were really open. Nearby Tanakaragawa in the countyside has an amazing ryokan and mixed onsen :p. Beautiful autumn colours everywhere and I got to see some new ski resorts. Kusatsu must be a big one and I'd never even heard of it. Skiing down a mountain with steam shooting out of it would be cool.

Its the concrete and the scale of the buildings that mark Nozawa out as 1960s/70s. Most other onsen towns became equally or more developed at the same time. Why run some little ryokan with ten rooms when you fill thirty or forty?

In terms of main streets, nearby Shibu onsen has more wooden buildings than Nozawa. There's a four-storey ryokan there from the 1930s with a fantastic exterior. Pre-war is old enough to still be quite traditional.