Who has an Iphone 4S - what do you like about it?

My GF has one. It's nothing short of amazing.

She has one through AU KDDI and the base price before calls is about 7000 yen a month, which is all you can use data.

Considering my phone bill is 2300 yen a month, I'll stick to what I'm using.

You can actually get the phone itself (16GB, pay over 24 months) as well as unlimited data, basic monthly charge and a basic call package or just under 7,000 yen at AU.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My package is 6730Y/mth. It's for the 32gb, unlimited data, basic monthly and 25 mins free calling. Extras are SMS and anything over the call time. I don't suspect it'll be too much more than the quote because I use apps like Viber, Tango, Skype and Line which allow for free calling and texts.

My GF has one. It's nothing short of amazing.

She has one through AU KDDI and the base price before calls is about 7000 yen a month, which is all you can use data.

Considering my phone bill is 2300 yen a month, I'll stick to what I'm using.

If you don't need it, 50000 a year is big difference.

It's great that phones can do lots of other things like music and videos and games but not if it conks them out in a day or so.

One difference between the Docomo and au data packs are that with Docomo there is a fairly low minimum cost even if you don't use it.

au bills you the 6000 yen or so the data package costs if you use it or not.

With Softbank, you can get the pack-houdai at, I think 4100 yen a month, or you can opt for a package which varies from I think 1400 yen a month up to 4600 a month maximum (pack houdai). So, if you dont use data (you can switch it off) and pay 980 for their basic white plan, 315 for the S! plan (whatever that is) plus the minimum data at 1400 = less than 3000 yen a month. Even without data you still have a lot of functionality you wouldnt have with a non-smart phone - ipod, games, applications, GPS (if you pre-download the maps via wi-fi which you can do with some applications) and you can still use internet and so on at a wi-fi point.

Funny this

--

We already know that Siri does most of its processing server-side, and that Apple's claims of hardware as a limiting factor are tenuous at best. But new research from French developer Applidium reveals that Apple is truly full of it.

They've managed to completely reveal the entire process used for communications between the iPhone 4S and Apple's servers. In doing so, they discovered that the only thing keeping Siri from running on Android (or just about anything with a microphone and an internet connection) was a single line of code. Furthermore, they suggest that it's entirely possible to create a third-party Siri client that could fool Apple's servers into thinking they were talking with a normal iPhone 4S. Unfortunately, it's that single line of code that could severely hobble any attempt to capitalize on this discovery.

As it turns out, that code is unique to each individual iPhone 4S and as of now, there's no way to replicate it. So in order to get a third party-client working, you would either have to sacrifice a large number of iPhones, or risk easy detection by the Apple Gestapo. Basically, the only thing standing between you and a Siri-equipped refrigerator is a string of random characters.

Ok, well I've had a few weeks to play around with it now and I love it!

Except for:

- no iMessages (free message service for iPhone users)

- no FaceTime (free video calling for iPhone users)

- no push mail (meaning I have to constantly open the email app to check for updates! very annoying if you are waiting for an important email)

- can't use other mail services like Hotmail or Gmail through the KDDI server (you can only check messages this way)

***All of these problems are related to Au (KDDI) systems and not the 4s itself. You'll notice a trend that all of the free use options are currently blocked by Au... something that they don't mention when you sign up. This definitely limits some of the appeal for Apple users who are aware of these free options. If you are concerned about network Au is still the better choice but if you are more concerned about having a lower monthly bill Softbank is far and away the better option.

BM, you might have mentioned this and if so sorry, but why exactly do Au have these things not functioning?

They told me that their network is not currently set up to offer those apps/functions and that it will be "in the near future". TBH, I think it's a lie because the only functionality that doesn't seem to be currently working are the free services. I think they want to make sure that your monthly bill is higher because you have to use SMS instead of iMessages and their email service instead of using Hotmail/Google. Of course there are other apps and such to get around this but they are 3rd party apps... I'd much rather use the ones that Apple has developed specifically for the iPhone.

The no push mail thing is absolutely appalling! Especially since I'm not used to constantly checking for emails... I've actually missed a few emails already where timing was important.

Picked up my iPhone 4s today from au.

Asked about the missing features.... The guy convinced me that they WILL be coming in the near future, he was a pretty sincere guy and said some negative things as well so I tend to believe what he said.

OK I kept quite about this but last week I ordered an iPhone from au and got it today.

Android bugs me.

iOS is just such a superiorly sleek and smooth experience.

May not be perfect, but it's way closer than Android.

Only been playing with it for a few hours, but liking very mushly.

Hey I have the crappy Galaxy Tab for all my android....needs....

;)

The question now is whether to use any screen protection or not.

I hate those things, and am crap at putting them on.

My two iPads have had serious usage and there is not one scratch on either.

I don't throw my phone in a bag or pocket full of keys either.

I think I'll go bareback.

(But will put the phone in a case thingy that covers the back and sides)

How about others?

When I got my 3gs I kept using those screen protectors for the first year or so, but then just stopped using them - the phone spent most of the time rattling around in my pockets with keys and coins and to this day it doesnt have a single scratch on the screen. The plastic back of the phone is scratched to pieces. I think the screen protectors are unnecessary.

So used Siri again this weekend on my mate's phone, and it really is impressive with stuff it CAN do. Emphasis on can, as sometimes it came back as "sorry, I can only find business in US", when I asked it to "Translate Japanese to English."

But also provided some laughs too. :D

OK I kept quite about this but last week I ordered an iPhone from au and got it today.

Android bugs me.

iOS is just such a superiorly sleek and smooth experience.

May not be perfect, but it's way closer than Android.

Only been playing with it for a few hours, but liking very mushly.

Hey I have the crappy Galaxy Tab for all my android....needs....

;)

Which Android interface are you using though? Personally, the Motorola Blur, hated that in the shop, but the HTC sense 3.0 is very very sleek and impressive.