There is snow up in Daisetsuzan now and has been for a few weeks. A couple of weeks ago there was a cold snap that brought snow at city level in and around Asahikawa.

Temps aren't low enough yet for any real accumulation, but I think more should fall early next week with another cold spell coming. Of course nothing skiable yet, but Kurodake and Nakayama Touge could potentially be starting up within a month.

From the weird typhoon patterens this year (typhoons have shifted from July to September and through October), I an expecting really early snow up north. Is there much accumulation as of now?

Actually they haven't shifted from July to sep, some came early on in June, unsual, but then as normal Aug-beginning of Oct, which is the usual time to get typhoons in mainland Japan. The path that they have travelled along, however has changed a lot this year.

Like others said, no snow yet, you need to wait about a month then there will be plenty this year.

• 2 weeks later...

After typhoon #15 passed, there was some light dusting of snow in the temperature drop following the mitigation of latent heat in the region, but of course, all that snow melted soon after. There was a little dip in the temperature last night that along with a system passing to the Northeast resulted in a light dusting of snow in the upper elevations of the Nihon-kai facing parts of Southwest Hokkaido (Nakayama-touge, Kiroro/Sapporo Kokusai), but I don't expect that to linger through the week if the temperature bumps up as forecast. Hit the snooze button again and check back next week.