Japan 'offers 10,000 free trips to foreigners'

Interesting

Japan 'offers 10,000 free trips to foreigners'

Japan will offer 10,000 foreigners free airfares to visit the country next year, in an attempt to boost the tourism industry which has been hit by the ongoing nuclear disaster, a report said on Monday.

The Japan Tourism Agency plans to ask would-be travellers to submit online applications for the free flights, detailing which areas of the country they would like to visit, the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper said.

The agency will select the successful entrants and ask them to write a report about their trip which will be published on the internet.

Tourism authorities hope that positive reports from travellers about their experiences in Japan will help ease international worries about visiting the country, the newspaper said.

The programme, which will require travellers to cover other costs such as accommodation, is expected to start from next April, subject to government budgetary approval.

The number of foreign tourists to Japan fell more than 50 per cent year-on-year during the three months after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami that triggered meltdowns and explosions at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

The sharp drop began to ease somewhat in the summer.

In June and July, tourist figures were down 36 per cent from a year ago, easing to 32 per cent in August as the country worked to reassure foreign tourism markets.

The government has said Japan is safe except for the immediate vicinity of the crippled plant, where work crews are still trying to bring the facility to a cold shutdown.

I work in Tourism in Oz and think it is a great initiative. I would think that it would be a good idea initially to invite travel writers, in- bound travel agents, tourism operators etc.

I am available - Pick me! Pick me! :bow:

It may take a while :yawn:

Regarding articles that "JAPAN OFFERS 10,000 FREE FLIGHTS TO FOREIGNERS"

Thank you very much for your interest in visiting Japan and for your keen response towards the "JAPAN OFFERS 10,000 FREE FLIGHTS TO FOREIGNERS" news.

Recently a number of media outlets have publicised articles about this, however it is subject to government budgetary approval,and no details have been decided yet.

We appreciate your kind understanding.

Its a bit weird if this has been announced with a number and an approximate schedule but "no details have have been decided yet". It sounds like a deliberate leak to test reaction and basically overpower any political opposition.

With newspapers printing press releases as front page news these days, this looks like very cheap publicity.

If the cost of flights to Japan is an issue, perhaps they could scrap the outrageous fuel surcharge on flights only if you buy them in Japan. This would mean more Japanese people flying overseas and supporting more routes and more vigorous competition. The driving demand on flights to and from Japan is Japanese and Japan-based people, not people living overseas. Scrapping the fuel surcharge would destroy JAL, but that's long overdue anyway.

If this is done properly it will target growth markets. That means loads of "free" flights for people living in China and Korea (as well as a few other select asian countries). I can't imagine the number of westerners coming from far away places (i.e. expensive flights) will be considered for this type of giveaway.

this is genius!

Make up a story with nothing to back it up, then have people spending the next few months thinking that just maybe theyll get picked and doing research about japan. Then quietly drop the programme because no one agreed to fund it anyway (or massively scale it down - to say a couple of free seats off peak on some JAL planes), then have those people who 'didnt get picked' say to themselves "well we kinda researched what we'd hit up and all that and actually japan sounds like a great idea for a holiday! we should just go anyway!"

Genius!

Yeah, they've got the publicity without spending the money, so you could argue there is no need for it now.

For some reason, this reminds me of the bit in "1984" where they announce the "increase" in the chocolate ration.

Yeah, they've got the publicity without spending the money, so you could argue there is no need for it now.

For some reason, this reminds me of the bit in "1984" where they announce the "increase" in the chocolate ration.

I thought you were going to talk about the lottery in that book, where all the big winners are in parts of the country far away from wherever you live so you couldn't verify the reports.

To be honest, I was almost relieved that the plan is on hold. Getting free flights because of a calamity, or getting free flights because of exaggerated fears about the situation, either way it'd feel like I'd be taking advantage of the situation. Just my A$0.02.

Well, you would come back, do a write up and spread the word.

I think that is the idea of the idea.

You would also need to pay for everything else, so I think you could sleep at night.

No doubt some people would take and not give back, but hopefully a decent percentage would give back.

• Like 1

Very good agrimm! You've beaten me with the same book.I'll have to get it out again. The copyright on it has probably expired, so it might be free to download.

Basically, lets all cheer the government announcement. Although it mightn't be what it seems. Aside from the reasons behind it, its not even decided yet and may go the same way as the child allowance and the free highways.

Have child allowances been stopped?

Free highways hey. That was nice idea. From my point of view, wanting to use them.

Sure will be interesting to see if this gets approved now or not.

The child allowance was promised to go to 26,000 a month. They've brought in a much smaller allowance, but for quite a few folks its merely replaced a regional benefit that was already there, so they're no better off. I think you'll find most people consider it an example of the gov promising one thing and delivering another.