Hey, can any of you guys in the know explain to me the difference between Yuzawa and Echigo Yuzawa?

Is Echigo Yuzawa just the station or the official name of the town, but everyone just calls it Yuzawa?

A bit confused!

Cheers!

I'm not totally 100% sure actually!

But....

The town name is Yuzawa-machi (Yuzawa town).

The Shinkansen station is indeed Echigo Yuzawa.

Inportantly, 越後湯沢温泉 Echigo Yuzawa Onsen is the name of the onsen.

Which can be shortened to just Yuzawa onsen.

Echigo is the old name for this area of Japan. And of course the default colour theme on these Forums. ;)

So I think some people might even refer to it as Echigo Yuzawa to differentiate it from the Yuzawa-shi in Akita-ken. Or maybe not.

Echigo is the old name for "After the mountains" and Echizen is for "Before the Mountains" or so I heard........but Echigo Yuzawa is the name for the station in Yuzawa and it means the same when we say it

• 4 months later...

Oops sorry for answering months after!! I'm sorry!

Thanks for the replies, got it.

Going next week.

:)

Make sure you go to the right one, though I'm sure both will be fun! ;)

I'm currently reading "I am a cat" by Soseki Natsume and found this last night,

"Having passed through the Valley of the Bamboo Shoots at Kambara in Echigo..."

Written over 100 years ago but, any connection????

Don't know about that Mick, but 'Echigo' is basically the old name for the Niigata region.

-----

Echigo Province was an old province in north-central Japan, on the shores of the Sea of Japan. It was sometimes called Esshū, with Echizen and Etchū Provinces. Today the area is part of Niigata Prefecture, which also includes the island which was the old Sado Province. This province was the northernmost part of the Hokurikudō Circuit. It bordered on Uzen, Iwashiro, Kōzuke, Shinano, and Etchū Provinces.

Echigo was established by the division of Koshi Province in the end of 7th century AD with Iwafune and Nutari District. It occupied the northeast part of Niigata Prefecture today and was one of two border provinces with Emishi (the other is Mutsu). Echigo was given four districts of Kubiki, Koshi, Uonuma and Kanbara in 702. When Japan extended the territory a little northward in 708, Dewa District was established under Echigo. But this district transformed to Dewa Province in 712. Temporarily Sado Province had been merged between 743 and 752. Since the division of Sado in 752, the territory of Echigo had never been changed.

Echigo was ruled by Uesugi Kenshin and his heirs during the Sengoku Period; later it became a fief of Ieyasu's Matsudaira relatives.