• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hmm, technics for driving on snow? First thing id probably do is take off my slipmats. Then id likely ramp up the anti-skate.

If you have never driven on snow don,t Just enjoy your holiday and use the shuttle bus

That's a bit drastic. If he took your advice, how's he ever supposed to learn?

I know. But he will have a good holiday.Then learn to drive on snow in is own time with no stress

If you have never driven on snow don,t Just enjoy your holiday and use the shuttle bus

No way. That's just like saying:

"if you've never skied, don't"

"if you've never drank whisky, don't"

"if you've never shagged, don't"

Just be careful please! Even experienced snow drivers can make mistakes easy. But most accidents are caused by those who are not used to it.

Yes, a friend of mine hit someone in front. It was like a tap on the shoulder carwise, but he lost a day in the snow. No damage to cars, but police had to be called. And that was what wasted the time.

Chains are illegal in the states most places and I'm from Michigan where it pisses down quite a lot and in my opinion the most important things to remember are:

1) Keep a safe speed, not too high, not too low.

2) Get used to sliding and learn to countersteer properly

3) Use chains when/if possible.

4) DO NOT accelerate through turns, constant light gas pressure or foot off completely. Understeering into a corner isn't a good way up or down the hill ;)

No way. That's just like saying:

"if you've never skied, don't"

"if you've never drank whisky, don't"

"if you've never shagged, don't"

Grow up!! He is driving a car which in the wrong hands is a lethal weapon. You don,t know if he has a wife and child in the car with him and don.t forget he will probaly be

used to be driving on the right. which is another hazard and driving round somewhere like Happo one is no fun

Best single advice I think is from GN. Basically watch on cold but very sunny days when the road can change from a bit wet to skating rink as soon as the sun goes in. I think it catches more people out than actually blizzards where it is obvious that you need to slow down and be careful.

In a heavy vehicle like a van or an SUV where you're hard on the accel going uphill, watch out for the crest of any slope. Its easy to carry too much speed or throttle over the top.

• 4 weeks later...

Out of interest, for you guys living way out of snow country --- do you actually own snow tyres?

I suppose it will depend on just how much you drive up to snowy places... interested to know what that 'threshold' is

I used to live in Tokyo, and the first time I went to a ski resort I had normal tyres and snow chains. The police demanded I put the chains on when using the expressway on the way to Yuzawa even though there was no snow on the road... Then I had to take them off to go through a tunnel, then I had to put them back on again. When driving with the chains I was limited to 50 kph but everybody else was flying past at 100. Very dangerous and a waste of several hours (partly due to being so angry that it took me ages to get the chains on!).

It was the usual Japanese application of rules without thinking - you must have snow tyres or chains on this section of the road in winter, even if there is no snow or ice. So I can imagine that a lot of people have them for this reason.

I read somewhere that snow tyres have better grip whenever the temperature is below 8 degrees.

It was the usual Japanese application of rules without thinking - you must have snow tyres or chains on this section of the road in winter, even if there is no snow or ice.

>> I doubt it was quite as simple as that, as I have never heard of people having to put them on when the roads were clear and the immediate forecast was clear and no ice.

>> I doubt it was quite as simple as that, as I have never heard of people having to put them on when the roads were clear and the immediate forecast was clear and no ice.

Maybe the forecast was for snow, and maybe there was snow further down the road, but on the section that I drove on the conditions did not warrant chains. From what I understand, using snow chains when there is little or no snow leads to damaged road surfaces.

On the way back 3 days later the police were not checking the cars yet to my eye the conditions were about the same. (but my GPS and the signs on the expressway still said snow chains were required).

Anyway to avoid further bad luck I immediately ordered snow tyres. I can imagine that anybody who regularly drives in North or Eastern Japan during winter does the same, even if they never drive to a ski resort.

I don't live in snow country, but put on snow tires in the winter so that when I drive to the mountains I don't have to worry about chains.

For the record, I have never seen チェーン規制 applied except when it is absolutely necessary. To the contrary, I have seen many times when I am glad I have studless tires on, even when not required.

I have been on the motorway several times during heavy snow storms, and have seen no end of people on the edge of the road putting on chains, or at the entrance to the motorways where the police have told them to put on chains or they can't get on. Always think, I'm glad I have snow tyres on and 4wd and no need to put chains on.

When I first came to Japan I used a rent a car ff drive only and put on snow chains once I hit the snowy areas, what a hassle that was, and I still got stuck too, after that I made sure I would buy a 4WD car, and put snow tyres on in winter, which I did. For the past 10-11 years I have had 4wd cars with winter tyres on in winter.

I live in an area of Shizuoka that never gets snow. I own snow tires. I go snowboarding most weekends during the season as well as a week (or a few) during the xmas/ n.y. time. I spun my car out pretty bad a few seasons ago even with chains on... since then I decided it was easier and safer to just change tires. I also don't drive my car very much (a handful of times a month) so I'm not really worried about wearing them out too quickly. Most of the people I know in this area that go to snow country also use snow tires.

Do they give you a choice there with that Tubby then? Is there a difference in price?

can't remember if there's a difference in the price....I don't think there is. I think we've always told them its to go snowboarding and they have them on as standard. Their insurance maybe demands that they do this

I grew up in a pretty snowy area... my 2cents, if you are driving a 4wd, don't overbreak the tires can't get a grip when you break, once you get into some snow try and find a safe place to mess around a little in; practice breaking/accelerating and sliding (always turn into your slides)... just a few minutes so you get the feel for the car.

anytime I rent a car for a boarding trip, we get the company to make sure they have snow tires on....then can laugh at the chumps putting chains on at the side of the road!!

Hey! I was one of those chumps last year! lol...but I had those nice chains...the plastic ones with the studs & the twisting tool thing lol.

Got me some snow tires off of tire rack this year, and an extra set of rims from up garage. Best to save them during the off season (swapping the set after winter) :)