• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hmm, technics for driving on snow? First thing id probably do is take off my slipmats. Then id likely ramp up the anti-skate.

I would say it is something like 50/50 for car and driver. Obviously something needs grip so snow tires are important. Otherwise driving on snow can be stressful, it's stressful because you have to be paying attention at every single moment. Driving as normal you don't have to pay attention but when you have to stop or turn. However, even driving straight in snow you will always want to make sure you are getting traction.

Some important tips:

If you find yourself sliding, very slightly compensate by turning the other way. Don't jerk the wheel over because if you over-turn you will slide the other way with more force.

The biggest thing is don't panic. When you panic you make mistakes. Try to just relax. Even if you find yourself sliding out of control don't become erratic at the wheel, it will only hurt you worse.

If the worst happens and you do hit a snowbank just make sure you have chains and know where to hook them up to ahead of time. Fooling around under the car in cold temps can become demoralizing and make you angry. Have a plan if you get stuck because more often than not it does happen. It's not the end of the world. If you plan for it, it is much less frustrating.

One of the main things is do everything softly. Brake softly, accelerate softly. Use gears to slow down (even in an automatic) rather than braking too much. Especially do this if on a reasonably steep downward slope. Use the gears to keep you at the speed you want to go rather than braking most of the way down. You are most likely to lose traction whilst braking. If you find yourself losing traction stop whatever you are doing that caused this. If it's braking that caused the loss of traction take your foot off the brake and then apply again softly. If accelerating take your foot off the accelerator and then apply again softly. If turning causes it then ease up on the steering wheel. As muika said don't be too confident, just take it easy until your confiidence builds.

Where are you going to be? Road conditions vary greatly around the country. If in Hokkaido snow tyres are standard in winter on all hire cars. Not sure about down south.

If you're driving an automatic, be aware of the low gear. Until I drove on snow, I'd never used that gear and didn't know what it was for. If you're on a steep hill and it's icy, go straight into low and don't touch the breaks. That way you won't slide.

Careful though. Low gear is really low (1st gear). If you drop into that at any sort of speed the wheels will probably lock up and slide.You need to be going quite slow before attempting to get into the low gear.

thanks Go Native, I should have specified low is only for when you're creeping around. If you were cruising along and suddenly slammed it into low, you'd probably die! (I'd be interested to see what would actually happen - would it let you go straight from 4th to low while travelling at 50mph?)

Generally it won't let you engage low unless you are going fairly slow anyway but especially on very slippery roads you can engage it at a speed that will still mean the wheels lock up and slide. Done it a few times myself. If it happens quickly try and get it into 2nd. Once the wheels start rotating again you'll get traction.

One thing I would say if you are driving in Hakuba (maybe the rest of Japan is similar)

Do not drive too close to the edge of the road.

There are many irrigation canals running parraell to the roads. These are usually full of snow. Fall in one and you will need to be pulled out. (as my wife knows very well!)

Road conditions are terrible after snowstorms (where are you going anyway?). Some places are much worse than others. You should definitely request snow tires for the car. If you don't have them I would suggest to get to most comprehensive insurance package you can get.

Just as an example, I learned to drive in snow and never had an accident in the 10 winters I drove around in Canada. Last winter I spun my four wheel drive car out while using chains (I was too lazy to put the winter tires on). I will never think of chains as a substitute for proper tires again. I can't stress enough how important they are. Without them I don't think you should be driving. (Especially if it's a place like Hakuba)

Don't you get stopped by Police driving from Minakami to Yuzawa where they check your vehicle for snow chains/tyres? (I was a passenger in the Canyons mini bus so don't remember).

I drive from Tokyo to Akita and tour the snow areas, I hire a car from http://www2.tocoo.jp/?file=rentcar_inbound/main, collect at Narita. I always specify (and pay extra for) snow tyres (and once also snow chains in addition - pointless). Once you get into the northern prefactures snow tyres come as standard. You'd be mad to drive without chains or snow tyres.

As everyone has said. Caution is king. Even with four wheel drive & snow tyres I have had the experience of drifiting in deep snow; don't panic, don't slam the brakes on, steer gently and hope your grip returns. As others have mentioned keep away from the gutters; those rain conduits are mighty deep. I love driving along deserted mountain roads covered in deep snow, its sublime. Though my enjoyment lessens when said mountain is dark and the snow is coming down so heavy that your wipers aren't fast enough and you can't see where the road is.

I will never think of chains as a substitute for proper tires again. I can't stress enough how important they are.

One time I was driving vans for a season and a fellow driver had a semi-serious accident on a steep icy hill which we had to drive up and down every day. After that we insisted on chains (on top of the snow tires and 4wd we already had) but they're uncomfortable to drive and break a lot on roads without snow, and in a resort you often move between roads with snow and no snow. So what's the safest? Is chains on top of snow tires better than snow tires alone or is that like the 2 condoms fallacy? Someone mentioned studded tires as being the ultimate but I've never tried them.

Also, would I destroy a pair of snow tires if I drove around honshu with them for 2 weeks in late october?

Road conditions are terrible after snowstorms

I actually found the opposite up north. With a good cover of fresh snow on the roads the snow tyres gripped so well it was little different to driving on completely clear roads. I reckon for snow tyres it doesn't get much better than if you have nice compacted powder on the road. The worst was when it hadn't snowed for a bit and the snow became thin on the road allowing the sun (even if there was cloud) to heat the road surface causing the thin, patchy snow layer above to melt and then of course freeze in the afternoon creating very slippery conditions at times.

The thing I need to clear up is the ABS. I seen on TV that ABS does not work on snow. Police driver on a documentary program.

Now, if my hire car comes with ABS, then this would be useless.

Also, I've seen on the Toyota Prius that there is a snow driving mode. Is this effective? Can I trust it? I do brake gently and keep a good distance from car infront. I don't accelerate harshly just to keep the fuel costs down.

Don't you get stopped by Police driving from Minakami to Yuzawa where they check your vehicle for snow chains/tyres? (I was a passenger in the Canyons mini bus so don't remember).

I drive from Tokyo to Akita and tour the snow areas, I hire a car from http://www2.tocoo.jp...ar_inbound/main, collect at Narita. I always specify (and pay extra for) snow tyres (and once also snow chains in addition - pointless). Once you get into the northern prefactures snow tyres come as standard. You'd be mad to drive without chains or snow tyres.

As everyone has said. Caution is king. Even with four wheel drive & snow tyres I have had the experience of drifiting in deep snow; don't panic, don't slam the brakes on, steer gently and hope your grip returns. As others have mentioned keep away from the gutters; those rain conduits are mighty deep. I love driving along deserted mountain roads covered in deep snow, its sublime. Though my enjoyment lessens when said mountain is dark and the snow is coming down so heavy that your wipers aren't fast enough and you can't see where the road is.

If the snow is particularly heavy the Police/authorities will syphon traffic off the IC's and check for snow tires or chains meaning that of you have neither then you could be stranded there until conditions improved and they allow you to move on

I will never think of chains as a substitute for proper tires again. I can't stress enough how important they are.

One time I was driving vans for a season and a fellow driver had a semi-serious accident on a steep icy hill which we had to drive up and down every day. After that we insisted on chains (on top of the snow tires and 4wd we already had) but they're uncomfortable to drive and break a lot on roads without snow,

I heard about a guy driving to the Alps from the UK to ski (about 900 km drive). He packed snow chains (obligatory in Alps) but he put them on when he got to Calais (just over the English Channel and about 850 km from the Alps) and proceeded to drive on the motorway at full speed. One of the chains snapped and shredded the front of the car at 70 mph. He didn't make it to the Alps. I'm surprised he didn't die.

The thing I need to clear up is the ABS. I seen on TV that ABS does not work on snow. Police driver on a documentary program.

Now, if my hire car comes with ABS, then this would be useless.

Also, I've seen on the Toyota Prius that there is a snow driving mode. Is this effective? Can I trust it? I do brake gently and keep a good distance from car infront. I don't accelerate harshly just to keep the fuel costs down.

I've braked harshly in snow with ABS; the car "juddered" as the brakes came on & off. Braking hard in those conditions ABS or no ABS is about as good as no brakes. As you say keep your distance, don't turn sharply and lose your speed well before any bends. In the end the most important thing is your car has snow tyres/chains.

Compared to Canada, where we clear and salt roads that have had fresh snow, I find the conditions hard to deal with after there has been a storm.

Driving on compacted snow in Akita felt pretty good (4 wheel drive saloon with 'snow' setting & snow tyres). Whereas here in the UK where the roads get salted; the salted snow (what little we get) melts & then freezes = an ice rink.