• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, people are saying he "revolutionized the way we listen to music".

I think you'd have to beam alpha waves into peoples' brains to do that, not make a smaller Walkman.

Did Stevie invent the internet browser?!!?

There seems to be a fair bit of OTT "What Steve did" talk now. Not to take anything away from what he did, but come on!

Who said he invented the internet browser? He only put phone, ipod and browser in one device.

Yeah, people are saying he "revolutionized the way we listen to music".

I think you'd have to beam alpha waves into peoples' brains to do that, not make a smaller Walkman.

So you'd like to carry 100CDs around with you or just an Ipod. OK, 100 cassette tapes.

Did Stevie invent the internet browser?!!?

There seems to be a fair bit of OTT "What Steve did" talk now. Not to take anything away from what he did, but come on!

Who said he invented the internet browser? He only put phone, ipod and browser in one device.

Sorry, thursday, I misread your post.

XEROX invented the GUI and the mouse. XEROX showed it to Steve Jobs and he thought it was brilliant and made the Mac. Microsoft then made Windows and Apple sued them but lost.

In software and computers everything is a copy of something else, that's nothing new.

I'm interested to know more about exactly how much of all these products were Mr Jobs ideas.

Wasn't the main designer of recent products someone called Ives or something?

Karlheinz Brandenburg revolutionized the way we listen to music - he developed the mp3 codec. John Fanning and Shawn Fanning who developed napster they showed that getting music digitally on the interwebs was the future. itunes built on what napster did but above board, a progession rather than a revolution Heck you could argue that Bram Cohen has revolutionized it just as much too with what he did.

Still, all credit too him - Jobs. he really played the last 10 years sublimely, from the ipod, to itunes to iphone to Ipad. Whatever faults the guy had, it was a phenomenal wave he rode since 2001, heck he didnt just ride the wave he was the wave.

indeed GG, who? pioneers but not household names. Bram Cohen came up with bit torrent which worldwide could have more 'fans' than itunes....

Interesting the day Steve died, I told a class of 39 teenagers (all returnees, many who had lived it the US) that Steve Jobs had died, Most said who? only 5 in the class raised their hand when I asked if they knew who he was, just 5. ( unsurprisingly the stereotypical otakus)

When I asked who had on ipod, about half raised their hands, iphone - 6 of them and 4 had ipads. I told them Jobs was the guy behind all things "i" and they were surprisingly indifferent, Very little appreciation for where their silver backed 'precious' came from.

FWIW I asked "do you know who Bill Gates is?" and about 2/3 of them raised their hands.

It's less about name recognition as what they did.

No-one was interested in mp3 players before Apple took the idea and made it desirable and presented it in a way that people thought was a good idea.

Classic story SG!!!

I would say the Sony Walkman revolutionized music because it was the first wearable player of your own music. Easy music on the go before was a transistor radio.

Next revolution was Napster that showed digital delivery was possible and more importantly that literally tens of millions of kids wanted it. After several labels and websites showed that you could sell mp3s too, the Itunes store turned it global. That too was a revolution, but one in how music is *bought* not in how it is *listened to*. Just like Amazon taking book sales online. Its still just a shop though. Unless we all buy Kindles, books are still being read in the same way.

With I repeat, literally tens of millions of kids using Napster, it was completely obvious that there would be demand for a portable player to play digital files without burning to cd. An unintended consequence of Napster was that it established mp3 as the go to standard. Since its not DRM protected, Sony Music wouldn't allow Sony Electronics to put mp3 in their digital music players and insisted on some wacky format that would only doom their products. This meant the field was wide open with the market leader out of the way when Apple started selling their portable music player. The original Ipod only worked with the Mac, so Jobs etc. managed to get away with a massive boob there straight away. Its not exactly visionary to make something that won't work with 90% of the world's home computers. Maybe it says something about the fervour of the other 10% that they managed to get a hit.