Hi guys all going to plan I'll be in Japan Dec 24 and plan to fly straight to Fukuoka to visit a mate then head to Hakuba. Anything I must see there or even on the way to Hakuba? I've already visited Hiroshoma and Kyoto but am open to anything in between. Thanks.

Thanks guys. Man in Japan is there anything specific that makes Osaka a stand out?

Osaka Aquarium

Sumiyoshi Taisha

Osaka Castle

Shitennoji Temple

Peace Museum

Minami Osaka - downtown area

Mino Park

Shinsekai

Bay area

Just a few places. ;)

I am originally from Fukuoka and I have to say unfortunately there are not many historical sites remained in Fukuoka compare to other tourist destinations like Kyoto but Fukuoka is always a popular destination and you can consider it as a southern version of Sapporo without snow. It is a city by the sea so the sea food is great and is famous for Yatai-stands for ramen noodles at night by the river run through in the middle of down town. So just eat, eat and eat! It's a clean and laid back city and worth visiting. I hope you enjoy your staying there.

Thanks Winterwonders, should have some lovely company with me so the idea of dining sounds great. Apparently some surf there too although not sure I cane be bothered carrying surfboards and snowboards...

Man in Japan, thanks too.

If you're just sightseeing, Kurashiki has a few old streets that are quite nice.

Himeji Castle is the best preserved one in Japan. It's big and very impressive. It's in Kagemusha, the Kurosawa film.

Okayama Prefecture has a few used-to-be-much-cheaper-than-anywhere-else-but-probably-not-so-much-now places called "International Villas" dotted about you can stay at for cheap. The one that is closest to Hyogo (Hattoji??) is an old thatched farmhouse in the middle of nowhere that was quite picturesque and ye olde Japan. It'll be freezing in midwinter but not so bad just yet.

Osaka has probably the most interesting people in Japan, but you have to live there or spend time and be guided to appreciate the place. Its got even fewer "you must go there" tourist spots than Tokyo. As a collection of buildings with no green space, its pretty brutal on the surface.

Nara's got lots of old sights, including the world's largest timber building, the temple with the big Buddha. The park's a bit touristy, but the town and the surroundings are nice.

I'll leave that as part one. You could of course go the other way and go to Nagasaki. It was in twenty years ago, but I had a great time there. If you go, don't miss the turtle temple!

Mojiko near Fukuoka is nice - lots of old buildings, a good railway museum, and a brewery selling real beer. You could also get the night ferry from Kokura to Matsuyama and see a bit of Shikoku, then another night ferry from Matsuyama to Osaka. You'd be saving big time on hotels that way.