My skiing experience is limited to 4/6 intensive weeks each year over a period of three years including two weeks at Niseko in the past season and I consider myself to be at the upper level of an intermediate skier. Although approach 60 yrs of age I am fit from years of racing and training on roadbikes. I would like to get an introduction to off piste skiing. Do suitable guided tours opperate out of Niseko for an introduction into back country skiing. I was thinking of purchsing alpine touring skes for use back in Aus, I currently use Rossignol Bandits s80's. Are either of these suitable on any such tour or should I hire fat skis?

i cant answer the question about skis. But tours go out of niseko all the time. I forget the other guys, but i do remember hokkaido powder guides offer a fair few tours. Google away and youll find them easy. I only remember them because they did the avi safety course, not because i necessarily endorse them (though they were lovely, and our course leader was a human dynamo!).

For the most part, a lot of the tours of niseko itself seem a bit of a waste of cash. But if you are a little reluctant to head out of the gates they will offer a nice comfy bubble so at least you can enjoy some of the wilder stuff up there (outside of the obvious bowls on annupuri). Maybe youll get the goshiki run which i never got to do and was strongly advised against doing without a guide and experience of the snowpack.

Either way, theres tours of some of the smaller mountains around the area, and also i think a couple offer a yotei hit somewhere. Bit of a killer hike though by the looks of it. But then again im lazy.

In truth im really just bumping this so you can get some answers from people with actual knowledge :)

(where's GN for this?)

Hi Marjude & welcome.

Another Niseko guide is Black Diamond.

If you want offpiste head to Rusutsu, it's all easily accessable inbounds & good for two or three day visits. There's also a bus from Niseko daily as well. I've been including Rusutsu for the last five seasons.

In Jindabyne there is Wilderness Sports (check their website for guiding).

Marjude,

There are definitely backcountry tour guides in Niseko. I had the experience of working with some ;) .

For your equipment: Bandits are going to be too heavy and clunky to really do extensive touring. I would recommend going with something along the lines of a Black Diamond Zealot, Volkl Mantra, K2 Obseth'd, Movement Slough, Moment Ruby, Atomic Blog, etc etc. As for bindings you can use what you have now with alpine trekkers. Although they can be a pain they are better than snowshoeing. Ultimately I would go with a pair of Marker Barons or Dukes depending on your weight and aggressiveness.

Niseko is a great place to start any type of backcountry experience because it is VERY safe compared to other places in the world. Not only this but off the peak the backside into Goshiki is a very easy route back up. Some major things to be aware of is to do it on a nice day where it is expected to be mostly clear and if not, do it with a guide. It's pretty easy to get lost when the vis drops and you don't have the best bearings in an unfamiliar area. This is what really hurts most people.

If you have any questions about the area feel free to ask or shoot me a pm! Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I know some resorts will take your ski pass if you ride off piste, is Niseko this way? I've always wanted to go off piste in Niseko but the cost of getting up there and on the mountain has always made me think twice about venturing out.

The patrol in Niseko have the right to take your pass, and there is certainly that chance. If you're using gates appropriately and not ducking gates into "no-go" zones, then you're in the clear. I've been lightly scolded by patrol before when I told him I ducked a rope, but that it was into an area that you could get to without ducking ropes.

There's lots of "off-piste" in Niseko without violating any rules that would get your pass taken.

Thanks Max F, that's good to know. It's just been my experience some places are pretty strict about the roped off zones and some places aren't. It sounds like Niseko isn't which makes my day.

Thanks Max F, that's good to know. It's just been my experience some places are pretty strict about the roped off zones and some places aren't. It sounds like Niseko isn't which makes my day.

Actually, as i understand it, they are pretty strict on rope ducking. Its just that almost NONE of the area is roped off. Theres the two instant death areas (well, thats how i like to think of them), the avi control area, the gates of course (when theyre closed) and under a few lifts (and little bits here and there to keep people from colliding). So what you find is that very few people bother ducking ropes just because so much is already available to them. Because of this you also realise that when you see a rope (or the gates are closed) its probably there for a damn good reason. If anything, i genuinely think that less ropes makes for a much safer environment just because people dont roll the dice on which ropes are safe to duck and are fenced off on the grounds of site liability, and which ones are fenced off because theres a creek bed maybe hiding under a soft pack of snow or an avi chance, or lead you far and away from the resort itself. I detest ropes. I also detest standing at a crossing waiting for the little man to turn green when i can blatantly see that there are no cars on the damn road!

I feel like half the ropes in japan are just there to designate the boundaries of resort liability rather than a statement on hidden dangers. And thats why i hate endless roping off of things.

Rope off the stuff that is blatantly dangerous or stuff that takes you way off course (and necessitates a hike back up) and leave the other stuff for me to decide if my skill level is up to the task. Harrumph!

Basically - Niseko = AWESOME slackcountry fun! When you do see a rope, its very likely to be there for a reason and you will likely appreciate that and not feel it necessary to duck them i reckons. :)

• 1 month later...