Hiya

First time to Japan this winter. I am going to be visiting someone who lives in Hakodate, or thereabouts. She is not into skiing but I want to get to see Niseko for 3-4 days while I'm there.

I can see it all on a map of course but wanting some first hand reports on the best way to get from one to the other without a car........ local train? How long does that usually take?

Thanks!

Love the new forums site, it looks amazing. Really transformed! :thumbsup:

Assuming no change in schedule, you can get there in 3 1/2 hours by taking the Hokutosei (overnite Tokyo-Sapporo express) from Hakodate at 7:04, changing at Oshamanbe (50-minute wait) for a local that gets to Niseko at 10:36. That would cost 4,900 yen including express fee.

For 3,150 yen, you can catch 8:17 local and again change at Oshamanbe (40 mins this time) to arrive Niseko at 13:26

Hope that's useful.

I'll just warn you that the wait at Oshamanbe is a very lonely, desolate and cold experience! You can step out of the station to have a look around but there is really nothing to see.

Yeah, I can vouch for GN's comment about Oshamanbe having spent 2 HOURS there waiting for my connection. :angry:

I travelled by local train so if you pay the extra, I'd definitely go for the express option as DeGriz mentioned. The line runs up the coast so you also get some lovely views of snow-covered beaches and small fishing villages. & make sure your friend takes you out for dinner before you leave town as Hakodate does great food - not sure about wellies though! ;)

I like the way the line runs directly through the Onuma Lakes area just out of Hakodate. They freeze in the winter and are an excellent area for ice fishing. It's cool also to head out over a frozen lake on a snowmobile or more sedately on x-country skis. Beautiful region.

Hey GN, I don't suppose you know the pretty-looking mountain that I saw on the righthand side of the train, going towards (and not too far from) Hakodate?? I didn't see any ski lifts or people on it but it looked rideable! :D

I believe you're thinking of Komagatake (one of the many mountains in japan with that name).

There is a ski area there, Nanae. I've never been, but it looks to be mainly beginner terrain, with maybe some steepness at the top of a long gondola. That's assuming it's still open. I haven't heard anything about it closing, but it was part of the Seibu ski empire, which has shriveled in the past few years.

Yeah, it's nice countryside there. Took that train from Hakodate to Oshamanbe in the summer of 1973, in old carriages where you could step out onto the open-air platform from the last car and enjoy the passing scenery.

I believe you're thinking of Komagatake (one of the many mountains in japan with that name).

There is a ski area there, Nanae. I've never been, but it looks to be mainly beginner terrain, with maybe some steepness at the top of a long gondola. That's assuming it's still open. I haven't heard anything about it closing, but it was part of the Seibu ski empire, which has shriveled in the past few years.

Yeah, it's nice countryside there. Took that train from Hakodate to Oshamanbe in the summer of 1973, in old carriages where you could step out onto the open-air platform from the last car and enjoy the passing scenery.

Jesus!! How old are you and how long have you been here??!! ;)

Need to thank Go Native for that great photo, Mick.

It is a beautiful part of Hokkaido, and I've long thought that if it were financially possible I'd love to live in the Hakodate area.

BTW, the ski area at Nanae has 682 meters of vertical, one 1,000-meter black run maxes out at 24 degrees (must be very narrow) and a couple of red runs, one at 29 degrees max and one at 20. (edited to add this ski-jo info)

Edited by DiGriz

that mountain is so cool. get great views of it on your way up to Nanae. looks like it was once well shaped and then just exploded from the middle!

Nanae was my first ski-jyo and a place that holds a special place in my heart. Not particularly big, but has a good long gondola and the snow isn't too bad. Catching the train from Hakodate up there early in the morning is quite breath-taking... until the tracks get covered with ice and the train can't make it up a slight slope coming out of a station along the line!

Ice fishing there wasn't my cup of tea. Maggots for bait, freezing cold, not many bites, tiny little fish...

& make sure your friend takes you out for dinner before you leave town as Hakodate does great food

Always makes me laugh this kind of comment (sorry Mick!) but... but.... does't every big town and city have it's fair share of excellent places to eat?

You're turning Japanese with that comment! ;)

& make sure your friend takes you out for dinner before you leave town as Hakodate does great food

Always makes me laugh this kind of comment (sorry Mick!) but... but.... does't every big town and city have it's fair share of excellent places to eat? You're turning Japanese with that comment! ;)

:lol: Yeah, fair point!

• 5 weeks later...

Always makes me laugh this kind of comment (sorry Mick!) but... but.... does't every big town and city have it's fair share of excellent places to eat?

You're turning Japanese with that comment! ;)

Ahhh, the seafood in Hakodate. Never mind turning Japanese, I could turn into a todo there; Down near the port in any of the little restaurants you can get huge donburis of rice, uni, shiso & ikura (or whatever combination of fresh fish you want) but that was my favourite. The fresh crabs on sale; fantastic, sent back a selection to the in-laws on the mainland and ate them 2 days later, delicious. I suppose any good port in Japan will have a good selection of fresh fish/sushi restaurants, but for me Hakkodate is still memorable for pigging out on ikura-don. Where's the drooling emoticon?