Hi folks

Right now we are still planning on a trip over to Japan but wondering what to do re: luggage.... whether to take everything or rent out some skis when we are there.

I know I want to take my boots but taking skis doesn't seem like something I want to do, esp. as we are spending some time in Tokyo to.

And also if we rent hopefully we can try out some new modern gear. Well, newer than my current skis.

Sound like a good plan or not?

theres a salomon shop at escal plaza in goryu that rents out this years gear if i remember right. Its a bit pricey mind. Which is of course really the big issue here. Since once you arrive in japan, you wont ever have to carry your stuff further than your hotel to the slopes.

Heres what id say:

Kuroneko.

(spelled incorrectly of course because im a clutz).

Make sure to consider this in yoru plans. They will deliver your gear for a very reasonable $20/bag anywhere in japan within a day or two. So if you arrive at the airport, just head to yoru nearest kuroneko place (ask at info desk) and you can mail ALL of your stuff to your accommodation at the slopes. You wont even have to carry your main luggage :)

As for tokyo, depending of course on the length of stay as well as whether its before or after you hit the slopes, you can just ask your accommodation to look after it before you get there, or send it on after you leave. Most places in japan are very accommodating so as long as youre good customers they wont mind.

So heres your issues realistically:

1. Rentals CAN be pricey. If you have your own gear, its definitely cost effective. Better gear is obvioulsy going to come at a premium cost and not that many places have decent gear to be honest. Dunno about skis, but as far as snowboards go, mainly its only really massive fat decks from 10 years ago with big plastic protectors at the tip and tail.

2. Getting from your house to the airport and back might be a massive pain in the heiny for you.

3. You might be in fear of the language barrier. Just get your accommodation to write you a little message in kanji saying something like "please could you send these bags to this address* [x address]. I will arrive on..." Then print it out and hand it to the clerk.

Hope that at least gives you another option outside of just lugging your stuff everywhere :)

hmm....depends on where yo are going and admittedly I don't know about ski hire, but I've found in most places, the rental snowboards are old cruddy ones. You can bring your own gear and just courier them to your hotel from the airport, you can them enjoy equipment free days in Tokyo and travel to resort and have your gear waiting for you when you get to the resort. Check with your hotel that you are doing this so they know to expect the gear.

hmm....depends on where yo are going and admittedly I don't know about ski hire, but I've found in most places, the rental snowboards are old cruddy ones. You can bring your own gear and just courier them to your hotel from the airport, you can them enjoy equipment free days in Tokyo and travel to resort and have your gear waiting for you when you get to the resort. Check with your hotel that you are doing this so they know to expect the gear.

Some of the places at skijo are quite flashy and have new gear every season. For a price of course.

Funny when you see them renting out gear that looks like it's from the 70's though. :lol:

Personally, I have always taken my own gear to Japan.

First trip I was a first timer and hired, it was "okay" but not brilliant gear. Very stiff board. I learnt a lot quicker on a flexi board.

But I am talking snowboards not ski's, so bear that in mind too.

It is pretty easy to takyubin your kit direct to resort if you are hanging around Tokyo for a few days.

Traveling (even on the train) with your gear is not that hard. If my 11 yr old can manage a snowboard bag and back pack, anyone can.

Way I see it...look at your gear. Do you LOVE riding your ski's? Are they appropriate for where you are going and the time frame?

If you have skinny on piste jobs, you might want to hire some powder ski's...

Make your descision based on that rather than the difficulty of managing with kit. Kit is pretty easy - the on snow expereince is what matters.

Some of the places at skijo are quite flashy and have new gear every season. For a price of course.

Funny when you see them renting out gear that looks like it's from the 70's though. :lol:

yeah, I've always had my own stuff but some of the crap my mates have hired over the years!! :lol:

Ski stuff depends on the resorts you got to, and whether you go to a ski rental place that is affiliated with the resort a la gala yuzawa, a chain store, such as the ones around hakuba or some indie shop.

Have found the affiliated stores tend to have the same model but in bulk, while the indies tend to have a greater variety, but also more beat up, stock.

Don't botherr taking your skis. Just take your boots. It's too mucn trouble lugging it around.

might be in other places but easy peasy in Japan.

If my kids can carry their own snowboard bags from the age of 8 then I am sure an adult won't find it too hard.

• 3 months later...

The Airport Limosine Bus website has this statemnet in it. Each baggage cannot be exceeding 50cm x 60cm x 120cm.

A snowboard bag doesn't have much girth. it is just longer than the 120 cm. Does anyone know if they will reject snowboard bags because of its length?

just courier your snowboard bag from Narita airport direct to your hotel.....saves faffing about. I did this last week coming home from Hakuba, 1280¥ for 1 bag from Nagano to kanagawa, it was delivered the next morning. Kuroneko Yamato is the name of the service, look for the black cat symbol.

The Airport Limosine Bus website has this statemnet in it. Each baggage cannot be exceeding 50cm x 60cm x 120cm.

A snowboard bag doesn't have much girth. it is just longer than the 120 cm. Does anyone know if they will reject snowboard bags because of its length?

Don't worry about it.

They take skis, 90% of which would be longer than your snowboard

Thanks everyone for your quick & helpful response. Aside from the expense issue, my problem was with the stance width being fixed. The only adjustment allowed was the binding angles. The stance on the 159 was way to wide for my liking.

I enjoyed my trip to Naeba even if I couldn't get up to the top of the mountain because of the weather. My next trip will be with my own equipment.

There is a problem getting rooms in mid February but I just found out that they are hosting the Ski World Cup. still looking.