Other - Feel free to add other locations

Might suggest adding Tohoku, perhaps?

Happy to M O, but as you know it is a big region with dozens of Skijo.

When people advise where and when they are going I will add them in.

It is unusual that has not happened already particularly as some Skijo in northen Tohoku appear to be along way from Fukushima

Ok, then how about adding Fukushima as a location? I expect to be going mostly there throughout the season.

(If that is still too broad, I can probably narrow it down.)

I think you can add Zao, too. ILoveZao will presumably be there, and possibly Man_In_Japan as well (though would leave it to him to say, when/if he decides).

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I have cruised through previous threads and started to gather details on who's going where for the 11/12 season. I figure it would be easier for folks to hook up with other SJ'ers (if they want to

Around Gunma and Niigata.

Tentative plan:   Hakuba Niseko   Late January.

Thanks for putting this list together snowjunky. Looking forward to seeing who else might be at the same resorts and possibly meeting up for a beer (or some sliding) with some people from the SJ forums. All I need now is one of those new SJ stickers for my helmet! (When are we going to be able to get these by the way?)

• SnowJapan Admin

Give us a bit more time on that surfarthur - we have them here just waiting on something before starting to dish out. You'll definitely get one well before winter no worries!

:friend:

Metabo, I admire your Fukushima support. But, with Alts cutting down.... where's left that would be appealing for us? Not just a small place on a hill?

I think Alts is still not that small (but I give the caveat that I haven't been to Alts yet) even without the part they shut down -- which unfortunately, though, includes the halfpipe. If half-pipe is your thing, then yes, there would not be much reason to go. (Then perhaps I could recommend the halfpipes at Hunter Mountain in Tochigi. :) )

Outside of Alts, most of the ski areas in the area are indeed not that big. If you like 'em big, go elsewhere. (I can recommend Zao. :) )

Or don't stay long-term at any one place; several of them are close enough that you can jump around pretty easily.

I actually like the more intimate feel, but de gustibus and all that.

Other - Feel free to add other locations

Might suggest adding Tohoku, perhaps?

Happy to M O, but as you know it is a big region with dozens of Skijo.

When people advise where and when they are going I will add them in.

It is unusual that has not happened already particularly as some Skijo in northen Tohoku appear to be along way from Fukushima

Ok, then how about adding Fukushima as a location? I expect to be going mostly there throughout the season.

(If that is still too broad, I can probably narrow it down.)

I think you can add Zao, too. ILoveZao will presumably be there, and possibly Man_In_Japan as well (though would leave it to him to say, when/if he decides).

I am a little confused :confused: Is there a skijo at Fukushima? I only know it because of the reactors. As for other Tohoku locations look forward to adding them when folks advise

Fukushima is a prefecture.

There was a bit about that here:

'Fukushima'

These earthquakes and tsunami were bad enough, but then on Saturday we were introduced to the problems at the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Plant in Fukushima Prefecture.

It is important to understand that 'Fukushima' is in fact a very large prefecture covering an area of close to 14,000 square kilometers. Fukushima is the southernmost prefecture of the Tohoku region and divided into three regions - Aizu, Nakadori and Hamadori - and has a total population of over two million people. Fukushima is also the name of the city that serves as the seat of prefectural government. And as we all know, the word Fukushima is also used in the name of the TEPCO Nuclear Power Plant where they are experiencing ongoing problems brought about by the earthquake and tsunami.

http://www.snowjapan...uake/index.html

Is there a skijo at Fukushima? I only know it because of the reactors.

That's the point! Trying to "decontaminate" the name of Fukushima. (And those of surrounding prefectures, too.)

Your heart is in the right place M O. After re-reading the first hand accounts from folks on the ground (thanks G G) it is really unfortunate that the word 'Fukushima' was included in the name of the reactor plant. Obviously the attractions of a much bigger area have been tarnished by association