• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I have cruised through previous threads and started to gather details on who's going where for the 11/12 season. I figure it would be easier for folks to hook up with other SJ'ers (if they want to

Around Gunma and Niigata.

Tentative plan:   Hakuba Niseko   Late January.

Snowpony & Criffy

Shiga ( 1st time any advice appreciated ) 4-2-12 to 11-2-12

Hakuba ( 6th year ) 12-2-12 18-2-12

Hi Snowpony, thanks for adding your details. :thumbsup:

Re Shiga, I have been there a few times and suggest you stay in the Ichinose area (pronounced itchy-no-say) It is central to the best skiing/riding & has the largest collection of accommodation. Check the Snow Japan site for details.

Snowpony & Criffy

Shiga ( 1st time any advice appreciated ) 4-2-12 to 11-2-12

Hakuba ( 6th year ) 12-2-12 18-2-12

Hi Snowpony, thanks for adding your details. :thumbsup:

Re Shiga, I have been there a few times and suggest you stay in the Ichinose area (pronounced itchy-no-say) It is central to the best skiing/riding & has the largest collection of accommodation. Check the Snow Japan site for details.

Thanks Snowjunky

I have had a look at them all on the site

How far is Ichinose from the Hasuike area? The Shiga Kanko hotel lists cable TV which from what I'm told is probably required in such a quite place unless you know of any in the Ichinose area that have it

Hi Snowpony,

Hasuike is around 20 minutes on the bus from Ichinose & arounf 30 minutes to ski to.

It is a rather flat & boring area to ski - mostly short green runs.

Not sure about cable tv in Ichinose area - not on my priority list, though I do recall seeing it somewhere but I think the only english channel was CNN.

Advantages of staying at Ichinose area. Central to the best ski areas, virtually ski ski out and minimal uphill walking (important in ski boots), 4 or 5 other options for eating at night rather than the sameness of the hotel fare i not a lot compared to hakuba but the best range for shiga. Apart from that the elevation at Ichinose would be around 400 metres higher at Ichinose than Hasuike. I have stayed at Sunroute Hotel, Hotel Mt Shiga and Hotel Khuls. Sunroute had the best food, Khuls the best location & Mt Shiga the best combination.

Definitely need someone to organize a SnowJapan trip, and found out some good news today that my insurance company has links with a few resorts in the yuzawa area, so potentially some discount tickets may be available.

Talked to the wife and she reckons I might be able to take a week or two off in late Feb into early March. Our house in Kutchan now has tenants who've signed a 2 year lease so there'll be plenty of yen in the account for me to play with! :clap:

Other - Feel free to add other locations

Might suggest adding Tohoku, perhaps?

Happy to M O, but as you know it is a big region with dozens of Skijo.

When people advise where and when they are going I will add them in.

It is unusual that has not happened already particularly as some Skijo in northen Tohoku appear to be along way from Fukushima