The new ropeway at Zao has started operations.

A nice improvement I think and good to see positive things happening.

Lets hope the season turns out to be decent.

Love the new photos uploader/embed. It is so so easy! :thumbsup:

Perhaps disappointingly, the speed and capacity are pretty much the same.

It's only holidays when it gets to be a real bottleneck. At those times I recommend people take the pair lift just next to the ropeway and a few further lifts up. They are often not busy at all, even on a holiday.

if theres one thing that murdered my two days at zao it was the ropeway.

First the bottleneck half way up the hill (after unclipping and walking for miles to get there). That was annoying so we went to the bottom.

Arrived at the bottom and stood in teh queue for fifteen minutes before finally getting close enough to see a sign telling us to get a ticket.

Went to get the ticket, and was told itd only be an hour wait... :/

I spat a minor dummy. :) then stomped off, had a chuhai and spent the next day completely avoiding that side of the mountain.

Thats right, i went all the way up to zao for two days and was probably one of only three people (me and my two mates) who failed to see the snow monsters up close.

They would have had to change too much to make it bigger it seems and cost too much.

But I think the new one is definitely an improvement.

I would tell anyone, especially on a fine day, to get the pair lifts up to the mid-point. It's so much better than waiting for the Ropeway and spending 5-10 minutes squashed up against a window.

I'll remember the tip about the Ropeway when I'm there in the first week of January (when it'll be just little bit busy). Good to hear about some investment (and therefore optimism).

A question for ILove Zao; any other recommendations/insider tips for first time visitors? (2 rusty old boarders and two very young skiers)

The best advice he gave me was to go straight to the Kurohime base area for the fastest access to the snow monsters and the upper ropeway to the peak.

Even faster than taking the pair lifts next to the Sanrokusen Ropeway.

You'll want a car to get there, but if I recall correctly, you will have that?

About the ropeway. This is something that had been planned, budgeted and paid for a long while - before the events of March.

The resort this year is unfortunately under immense budget pressure.... lots of things have been either cut quite dramatically or cut completely.

Optimism is of course good, but the reality is that people are generally a bit grim with slow bookings and the fear that most people will avoid Tohoku and instead choose places more north or more west.

But that shouldn't affect your enjoyment of course!

:)

Yes I would recommend Kurohime as the place to park. Right next to the lift - and a very very fast lift at that!

Optimism is of course good, but the reality is that people are generally a bit grim with slow bookings and the fear that most people will avoid Tohoku and instead choose places more north or more west.

Interesting. I have heard a few people round here mention that they hope that might be the case.

In the most respectful possible way of course.

Not on the skijo mountain, no.

Edit: I heard it had yes but I can't see any snow up there now.

I heard someone say that some light snow had fallen over up by the crater on the way over to Miyagi.

The best advice he gave me was to go straight to the Kurohime base area for the fastest access to the snow monsters and the upper ropeway to the peak.

Even faster than taking the pair lifts next to the Sanrokusen Ropeway.

You'll want a car to get there, but if I recall correctly, you will have that?

I will have a car but am intending to spend about 3 days in resort; knowing my luck probably enjoying the rain & grass skiing.