Hey guys, after reading how low the pound is to the yen right now, I thought I'd have a look around the US online snow shops and see what's out there. EVO are selling a Rome Headline 2011 snowboard for the princely sum of 17k of the emperor's lovely yen......on the face of it thats a damn good bargain!! My question is, has anyone used this board or other Rome boards? If so, how are they in general? I've had a look around for reviews and they are pretty positive, just looking to get some real feedback as opposed to the stuff on shop sites.

Thanks.

TB

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers for the offer SC, I just got the quote back and they are charging $125 to ship to Japan, inclusive of all charges so I think thats acceptable. $92 is teh shipping charge on their website, throw

I'm a single board guy....last board was a 2nd hand Burton Custom and I reckon I should buy new this time...esp for the price. Not really into park, like cutting through the pow, trees, of course the groomers and building my confidence with jumps.

well, its definitely gonna do all that. Truth is though, if you can id honestly save up a little and go with the anthem. The reason is this: the anthem is going to add some extra pop and liveliness. Its basically going to do everything the headline does, but faster and with a bit more aggression/energy to it. I know youre after the deal of course, but i reckon you might want to take some time to try and hunt down an anthem :) The nice thing is, if you pick up one from 2010 its full cambered. If you go for 2011 or this years then you can add a bit of a hybridy sort of camber (its basically camber until the boards weighted which then releases the contacts - it loses a bit of pop then, but gains a bit of float and looseness). So in that regard, if that sounds more like what youre after you could also look at the Anthem SS which has a bit more upturn when weighted but also has extra stringers for a bit more pop than the anthem.

Ah choices choices.

The headline seems fun, seems like a pretty standard snowboard like youd expect. Stiff enough to hold a line and not chatter in crappy terrain (and with the quick rip sidecut), poppy enough to get some decent turns and hits, and with just a little bit of extra float with their crypto weighted 'hybrid' ripit camber. I reckon id prefer just a straight camber and maybe size up (id rather have my pop), but i guess this works a little more to japan :)

If I were to get this Rome Headline 2011, I´d go for the 163. It has enough stance width to play with (I have a wide stance) and I like to add a little more setback to the default. Pity it doesn´t have a little taper. But I like the slightly narrower width overall. (and even at 163)

I´d have no problems with it for the price tag you are mentioning... it will do the job. Amicabily

Tubs, we have a Rome. They are lightweight construction. The base is fast :friend: and absorbs A LOT of wax. It´s not a very hard base (but you have to check this yourself) and I find myself regularly putting edges and p-tex ing the base. It doesn´t take abuse very well.

It´s a resort board. The quality is there. Ours is made in Austria.

Rome boards does have pop, and ours goes well in pipe. Does well in everything. But it´s neither a charger nor a pow board compared to a board specially designed for that purpose.

yeah Ippy, I hear ya, but when it comes down to it....money talks! :D I don't honestly think that I would notice the things that you just said.....although I reckon I would see an improvement from my 2nd hand board, I'm just not a real technical gear head, and I use the same board wherever I go. Right now that board is used so thats why I reckon I need a new one....but nuptials next year means that it needs to be the right price. Cheers for the input, both you and Jynnx......if the import costs aren7t so bad I may even plump for new flow bindings....waiting to hear back from the site

yeah, thats where I saw it. STILL waiting for them to email me back a quote for international shipping. You can't go through with the purchase until they send you a quote by the looks of it

id be keen to know what kind of price theyre hitting you with regarding the shipping. I got a quote back for the 2012 riot for $175 for shipping and all duties and almost choked. :) But something in my brain tells me its not too bad and when you say 100 shipping, thats just 75 on admin et al, Which puts the tax at around 8%.

i think theres an automatic 5% sales tax though. So add that in, and then maybe 2 or 3% to whoever it is that's filing out their paperwork, and that will be, i assume, the extra costs. At least i hope it is, $175 to send me a deck is a ridiculous price from a mainsstream internet retailer. :)

why is there a 5% sales tax? Is that the standard sales tax in the US? I thought the sales tax was already included in the price.....this is after I've went to check out. I wonder how much DHL charge to post a board from the States, I have a few friends there who might just forward it on for me....hmmmm

another quick look on the evo site shows that shipping a board to Japan would be $92......I'm interested to know what the extra $80 they were charging you, was for Ippy.

you wouldnt be alone dude. Its the reason i held off buying it. Actually,youve inspired me to ask them about this cost. I just sent them an email asking why the quoted price is $100 above the price on their site Hopefully they can explain what its for :)

Say, if you are in Japan or Australia, and want stuff from EU or USA, you won´t be paying their VAT or sales tax.

The import duties applies when the shipment is over AUD1000, YEN10000, (whatever) including added shipping costs.

THe local consumption tax, this one is tricky, it depends and I suggest you check it ...but for me an extra 3-5% is no big deal considering the total cost.

The handling cost, whether at the government level or corporate level ( merchant, courier ) is really up to you if you think the deal is ok.

UPS expedited includes all costs for handling. Dhl doesn´t.

Some companies reckon it´s a hassle to send overseas and they charge for it.

You might not get want what you want, a defect, or factory second, out of spec, and want to send it back - additional cost and risk.

Does the risk and cost saving balance out ?

another quick look on the evo site shows that shipping a board to Japan would be $92

That sounds like a good price. I'm paying a forwarding company $160 to send a board to Japan because the retailer isn't allowed to ship that brand (LibTech) overseas. It's a bit more because it's going DHL, when the retailer would have shipped it UPS.

The prices on the Evo website do not include any sales tax. The amount of sales tax varies from state and even on the county and city level. But the nice thing is that there's 0% sales tax for online purchases from sites which are headquartered in a different state.

Like when I put a Hovercraft on order from some place based in Minnesota I paid no sales tax which was awesome. The lame aspect of this for me is that Amazon and REI are both based in Washington state, so I have to pay sales tax for any purchases there. I have no idea how this all translates to international purchases though, so all this info is probably worthless for you guys :)

Now something that may help: Evo is actually local to me since I'm in Seattle. I was there a few weeks ago with my girl as she was looking at some skis. I'd be happy to help you guys however I can in terms of purchasing on your behalf and shipping it. Keep in mind that there would be a about 9.5% sales tax for the purchase though, so I'm not sure if it'd end up being a net win or not.

Cheers for the offer SC, I just got the quote back and they are charging $125 to ship to Japan, inclusive of all charges so I think thats acceptable. $92 is teh shipping charge on their website, throw in some sales tax and a small handling/paperwork fee.....thats not too bad in my opinion. so I'm gonna go ahead with the purchase

• Like 1