Pink - you mentioned Yuzawa. Is that the Yuzawa near Junes ski-jo? If so, have you been to Junes?

Has anyone been to Junes?

The only real town I've spent the night in near the slopes is Morioka. Found a nice Jazz bar 100 meters from the hotel so that was cool.

All the other places I've been snowboarding at so far don't have any towns near by.

Tohoku is like that - pretty much "country living"...

I'm pretty sure Pink is talking about Yuzawa in Niigata pref. - I didn't know there WAS another Yuzawa...

Yuzawa while not generally being my first choice in terms of the resorts, is usually my first choice just because it is so convenient.

You guys are all WAY OFF base ... let me tells ya, SMIGGINS HOLE, Australia is tre` best!

Besides, if you didn't already know, they're the No.1 contenders for the 2010 Winter Olympics! \:D

... but seriously ...

SZ.

• 2 weeks later...

After checking out Niseko this weekend I have to say I like the village aspect of that place better than Hakuba. The snow/mountain quality and variety may be up for debate, but I really like the ease of getting around the Hirafu village. Cool restaurants all within easy walking distance of the lifts. In comparison, Hakuba is way more spread out and a car is more necessary. Of course I was only there a few days, but it seemed like a friendlier and more exciting place.

I think the ultimate village feel I have seen is Whistler, though.