• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't worry, I've a spare tin can-and-line set up he can borrow

Pick my nose. Take a wee. Bash my cock. etc.   Who WANTS that?

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm going into au today to move from docomo to get an iphone.

Wanted one before but softbank put me off.

Are they struggling with demand or will I be able to walk in and get one.

Wonder how much hassle this moving number malarky is.

I think you can get a white one right away. Black ones take a few weeks to get at the point. I had to wait almost 3 weeks for mine. As I mentioned in another thread there is one problem with the AU iPhones at the moment... they don't support iMessages or FaceTime... which allow free messages and video calls between iPhone users.

How does au compare with docomo in terms of coverage? Is it up there about the same.... in the mountains (well, in the towns in the mountains) is my main concern and Docomo does have good coverage.

It's about the same I think. Sometimes drops a few bars but nothing major.

The only time I have had problems with AU when snowboarding is going b/c. Haven't had any problems with either AU nor DoCoMo whilst out and about.

I think that was just at the beginning BM. You can go in and pick them up in a fair few shops now I think.

I'm sure it depends on where you are. My coworker went in yesterday and was told they didn't know when he'd be able to get one. Just have to make a reservation and wait...

When I asked about iMessages and FaceTime their answer was 'in the near future' when I asked what that meant they said they had no idea. I've also found that some of the popular apps for free calls from iPhone to iPhone (like Viber) are also not working. The cynical side of me thinks they will never sort it out (because they have no real motivation to do so)... the optimistic side hopes that it'll be much sooner than never.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I was wondering.... how much of a hassle is the MNP or whatever they call it when you change from one mobile carrier to another?

From what I can gather, you go into your current place, get some kind of number, pay a bit of a fee, then trundle on down to your new place and start up a new contract.

Does the switch get done there and then or is there more waiting?

Cheers

You mean switch providers but keeping the same phone number?

When you go to cancel your current contract tell them that you want to keep the phone number. They will give you a code that you then take to the company you are signing up with. The new company will set everything up for free. You'll have to pay about 2000Y extra to the old company on the last bill you pay.

Hey I was wondering.... how much of a hassle is the MNP or whatever they call it when you change from one mobile carrier to another?

From what I can gather, you go into your current place, get some kind of number, pay a bit of a fee, then trundle on down to your new place and start up a new contract.

Does the switch get done there and then or is there more waiting?

Cheers

Did this on the weekend. It costs 2100yen and It took about 1 hour for the new company to switch the number and start up the new contract. About 30 minutes into the wait I lost reception on my old phone.

Just to clarify one thing you do need to do is visit both carrier's shops. First you have to get the MNP from your current company then go to the new company. Getting the MNP took about 30 minutes and setting up the new contract about 1.5hrs including the 1hr wait.