The Fujitsu Arrows and Kyocera Digno are all 'coming soon' according to the October 2011 catalog. So 3 instead of 2. I'm sure in the future every phone will have it but I was referring to the ones you can actually get in stores now.

Really? Damn, thought they were out last Friday. Never mind but the htc evo 3d, good!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't worry, I've a spare tin can-and-line set up he can borrow

Pick my nose. Take a wee. Bash my cock. etc.   Who WANTS that?

http://www.japanprob.../#disqus_thread

it official softbank really does suck- not only crappy coverage but turtle speeds too. Heard that softbank was undercuting Au by about 500 yen a month, they would have to given their hopeless network.

Softbank will soon see their customers gain records of late being quickly wiped out.

"The test was conducted in Shibuya, an area of downtown Tokyo that should theoretically have better mobile coverage than almost anywhere.

The AU phones measured speeds of 1.68Mbps and 1.26Mbps. The Softbank phones scored 82.13kbps and 88.3kbps. Softbank’s speeds were laughably terrible"

Personally, I don't know which is better. I was a J-phone, vodafone, softbank user (3 different incarnations of the same crappy company) and was waiting to renew my phone contact pending the new iphone announcement. I'm just tired of Softbank doing nothing to improve their company... I wonder how things would be different for them if they never got the iphone exclusivity all those years ago.

I've also been very disappointed with Softbank customer service... from bold-faced lies about the cost of a phone (paid for up-front or installments) to problems with contracts... I just decided that I would give someone else the chance to keep my business. That being said, I'm thinking of walking into Softbank to see if they are willing to do something to keep me as a customer!

Samsung sues to block iPhone 4S in Australia

Asher Moses

October 17, 2011 - 4:22PM

Apple's iPhone 4S. Photo: Adam Turner

Samsung is suing Apple to stop sales of the iPhone 4S in Australia, just days after the device went on salearound the world.

Both companies are now shelling out millions in legal fees to fight more than 20 patent infringement cases in 10 countries. Samsung recently vowed to shift its strategy from "passive" to being "more aggressive" in targeting Apple for "free riding" on its patents.

Samsung filed a suit seeking a ban on sales of the iPhone 4S in the Federal Court's New South Wales Registry today, and separately lodged an appeal against last weeks decision by the court to temporarily ban sales of its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia.

Advertisement: Story continues below

Suits against the iPhone 4S had already been launched in Italy and France but today Samsung filed preliminary injunction motions in Tokyo and Australia. A similar case in the Netherlands was dismissed on Friday.

Apple Australia declined to comment.

It is unclear why Samsung did not file its suit before the device went on sale. Telstra alone has sold tens of thousands of iPhone 4 units in the opening three days - "our highest-selling iPhone launch to date" - according to Telstra's director of mobile, Andrew Volard.

Senior patent lawyer Mark Summerfield, from Watermark in Melbourne, said he believed the delay in filing the suit would make it much harder for Samsung to make a case for pulling the iPhone 4S from shelves. He said Samsung may have been waiting for the Federal Court to hand down its preliminary injunction decision for the Galaxy Tab 10.1, which occurred last Thursday.

"I don't think the chances are very high that it will actually be pulled off the shelves," Summerfield said, adding he believed any resolution would most likely be around the payment of royalties.

Independent intellectual property expert Florian Mueller said he did not believe Samsung would be successful in its bid to block the iPhone 4S as the patents it was relying on were "essential to the 3G telecommunications standard".

Samsung recently surpassed Apple in global smartphone sales for the third quarter.

"Samsung's preliminary injunction request in Australia cites three patent infringements related to wireless telecommunications standards, specifically Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (WCDMA) and HSPA," Samsung said in a statement.

"The injunction request in Japan cites infringements on one High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) standard-related patent and three user interface patents, which seriously violate Samsung's intellectual property.

"In light of these violations, Samsung believes the sale of such Apple devices should be injuncted. Apple has continued to violate our patent rights and free ride on our technology. We will steadfastly protect our intellectual property."

Earlier today it was revealed that despite the injunction on the Galaxy Tab 10.1, many Australians were still ordering the device from online stores.

Samsung has suffered setbacks in court in recent days. In addition to the temporary ban on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 sales in Australia, in the US a judge said Samsung infringed Apple's iPad patents while in the Netherlands a court dismissed Samsung's request to block sales of the iPhone and iPad in that country.

Peter Black, an intellectual property law lecturer at the Queensland University of Technology, said it was important to note the difference between an interim injunction and a final injunction. Last week's ban on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia was an interim injunction until the court can make a final decision on the patent infringement case, which is due next year.

"It is easier to obtain an interim injunction than a final injunction," he said. This was because an interim injunction only required that a court be satisfied that the applicant has a prima facie case, meaning that it is more probable than not that it will succeed at trial.

He questioned whether the patent system in Australia was actually promoting innovation in software and mobile technologies, or whether the patent system and these endless lawsuits were "in fact stifling competition and innovation, with the customer being the ultimate loser".

In seeking to block the sale of the iPhone 4S in Australia, Samsung is relying on the following patents:

• Method and apparatus for transmitting/receiving packet data using pre-defined length indicator in a mobile communication system (WCDMA)
  • Method and apparatus for data transmission in a mobile telecommunication system supporting enhanced uplink service (HSPA)
  • Method and apparatus for transmitting and receiving data with high reliability in a mobile communication system suppo

Get yourself an Iphone 4S and then stop bitching.

Why would we want a sub-standard phone? :p

Sub standard? It's the phone that all the samsungs and androids have been trying very hard to catch uo with.

get an iPhone....hmm......I gotta wait until Thursday

Why? You could have got one today. Or even tommorrow.

no...I gotta wait until Thursday.....I don't get paid until then....silly :slap:

"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong," Jobs said. "I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this."

Jobs used an expletive to describe Android and Google Docs, Google's Internet-based word processing program. In a subsequent meeting with Schmidt at a Palo Alto, Calif., cafe, Jobs told Schmidt that he wasn't interested in settling the lawsuit, the book says.

"I don't want your money. If you offer me $5 billion, I won't want it. I've got plenty of money. I want you to stop using our ideas in Android, that's all I want."

Looking forward to the book next week.

But that attitude is really one of the things that was so annoying about Jobs hey.

Didn't he say "We've always been shameless about stealing great ideas".

“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong,” he told Walter Isaacson, the author of an official biography to be published in the United States next week.

yeah, right.