The last week or two I have seen a few articles in newspapers and on tv about smartphones and the "growing problem" of the huge increase in data being shoved about and the strain it is going to give the networks.

Can't help but feel we are being primed for a "data limit" in the near future rather than the tsukai-hodai we have now.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

don't worry, I've a spare tin can-and-line set up he can borrow

Pick my nose. Take a wee. Bash my cock. etc.   Who WANTS that?

Battery technlogy has not keeped up with smartphone technology. Simple.

proof?

batteries are now around the 2000mAh level and not much bigger than phones from 2yrs ago.

The last week or two I have seen a few articles in newspapers and on tv about smartphones and the "growing problem" of the huge increase in data being shoved about and the strain it is going to give the networks.

Can't help but feel we are being primed for a "data limit" in the near future rather than the tsukai-hodai we have now.

There does seem to be a lot of talk about that. Haven't some carriers in the US introduced caps to their packages on offer?

AU has introduced a cap, something like 3gb over 3 days then you get restricted.

The main difference between the US networks and Japan is that the Japanese one has been rolled out for years, think NTT Docomo introduced it way back in 2001. And WIMAX has been around since 2008.

The problem is, with so many different carriers, who pays for the building of the networks? ;)

16 months I think.

So, iphone 4s.

Very underwhelming. If the inside is "totally new", why didnt they give it a new design? :confused:

Is this Apples first big mistake with it's phone?

Yeah, very surprised with the phone but then Apple didn't help themselves by either confirming / denying it was going to be an iPhone 5. The media and bloggers went crazy about it and that didn't help.

SO far the cycle has been

iPhone 3 -> iPhone 3gs -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4s -> iPhone5 perhaps?

Never mind, motorola have a quad core phone coming out next year and the nexus prime is due soon too. :D

Haha.

I want to be able to use my "phone" as a "phone" amongst other things - ie. make calls - and so no Softbank for me!

que? what is this "phone" thing you talk about? Can I get 美人天気 on it? Can it send emails? Can it use the internet? Can I check snow conditions using the SnowJapan application available on android and iOS?

It shows the press up when they run lots of articles about Apple press conferences and then they announce next to nothing.

That's what journalism is in 2011 though, unfortunately.

Can't admit to knowing much about this but if the inside is all new and they had so much time, why didn't they re-design the thing as well?

Seems like an odd choice.

Apple shares drop 5pc on 'disappointing' iPhone 4S launch

Apple's share price dropped 5pc at one point as Wall Street analysts and investors were left underwhelmed by the technology company's launch of its new iPhone.

It will be interesting to see if it sells like mad or if there is a noticeable "less excitement" out there in general about it. I hope so.

Complacency shouldn't be rewarded.