Hey I was in Niseko a few seasons back and we are considering going to Japan again.

I think we want to check out Niseko again but also some other place(s).

Looks like Rusutsu can be done from Niseko, but Furano is further right?

Using public transportation, what sort of time are we looking at taken from Niseko to Furano? Anyone give me an idea?

Cheers

Furano is quite a bit further than Rusutsu. There is no direct public transportation route that I am aware of. Public transit could be JR train, which in the best case is about 4 hours from JR Kutchan to JR Furano, requiring change of trains at Otaru, Sapporo, and/or Takikawa. The other option is to take one of the airport express buses back to Chitose Airport and then direct on to Furano. This is much more time consuming due to the connection time of the buses. The bus companies I am aware of which serve both Furano and Niseko are Hokkaido Access Network and Good Sports.

You might want to look at breaking up the trip by doing an overnighter in Otaru or Sapporo, particularly if your timing will allow you to see either city's winter festivals. You can express courier ("takkyuubin") them to Furano to avoid lugging them around on your cultural sidetrip - it is reasonably priced, and if sent by 6:00 pm will normally arrive the next day.

you can make the trip slightly less nasty by stopping off in sapporo for the day or night. Take a day off and pop down ramen alley or something... or maybe time it so that you can see the yuki matsuri. It made my trip to furano slightly more palatable. Nothing worse than travelling all the way from niseko to rusutsu and realising youre an hour into the journey and barely away from niseko :)

My friends did this and regretted it. Said they would have rather stayed in the Niseko area and check out more of Rusutsu and Kiroro rather than take the trip over to the other side.

Although it's a good place, Furano's a bit of a trek from Niseko so if you haven't got a lot of time (or a car), you'll probably better off exploring Niseko and all the other places around and about. Rusutsu, for example, is an easy and well worthwhile day trip (I did it in March - see my review for details) and if you fancied a change of scene, then pop up to Sapporo and check out both the city and the local resorts.

Agree with Nine's friends. Furano's good (Kamui, too), but not worth leaving the Niseko/Rusutsu/Kiroro/Kokusai/Teine region once you're there.

Not as if they had a bad time of anything they just said that on returning that's what they would have preferred to have done.

We have decided on the east side of Sapporo as our destination in February.

Not decided where we are staying yet, but places don't seem full at all so we can take our time there.

• 4 weeks later...