Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum but keen to get on here heaps more in the close future. Just initially hoping some of you lot can help me out.

Basically I'm looking to plan a trip riding to Japan in feb/march for myself, my girlfriend and 4or5 friends. My mrs normally organizes stuff and me being a complete bloke, obviously takes it for granted! So this one is mine to suss out.

we're all snowboarders who live in queenstown NZ and fancy hitting some real snow over in hakuba or niseko. Been reading loads about where to go, how to get where etc but it all stems from companies trying to sell you products so I'm looking for YOUR help!

I'm hoping for 2-3 weeks holiday, catching some decent powder, good park terrain, beautiful scenery and pretty good night life. Hakuba seems to cover thatright? Any other suggestions?

Accommodation and lift passes are something I'm struggling with. Anyone got experience with package deals with any companies?good value or a rip off? Easier to do it all on your own? Not looking for a flash place to crash! Hostel or B&B is sweet, again any ideas?

Costing? For a 10-13 day lift pass what would it set you back? And nightly accom? Are there any trustworthy companies who package?

Flights seem pretty straight forward...into Tokyo, have a nosy around for a day or two, buy some gadgets that I'll never use then train/bus to resort right!?

Appreciate this is lengthy but I'd be so grateful for any help or info. I can hook you up with booze if you ever head over this way to NZ as a reward for your efforts!

Cheers all,

Gary

Hold on

"Basically I'm looking to plan a trip riding to Japan in feb/march for myself, my girlfriend and 4or5 friends. My mrs normally organizes stuff and me being a complete bloke, obviously takes it for granted! So this one is mine to suss out."

So your mrs is not too pleased you are going with your girlfriend?

Always looking to score some free booze so here goes and welcome to the forums.

I'll comment on Hakuba as it is where i live. It certainly covers your requirements that you listed.

As you said, airfares are easy. I would suggest in regards to accommodation check out the list on snowjapan. There are a few to choose from. http://www.snowjapan.com/e/hotel/nagano-hakuba-accommodation.php There is some good lodge accommodation available from 4000 yen a night.

Don't worry about lift pass deals. You are better off buying on a day to day basis taking advantage of the special deals the resorts have. Budget between 3800 and 4800 yen per day. There are 9 resort areas to choose from.

Getting here is easy on the bullet train to Nagano and a bus. Total travel time is about 2 hours 45 minutes.

any reason that you are thinking Feb/march and not jan/feb? Chances of epic powder conditions are a bit higher in the mid-Jan to mid-Feb time area IMO. Of course feb/March also gets good snow, but Jan-Feb is better. Hakuba would be perfect, Mountains are large, loads of different resorts that you could sniff out if the snow isn't on at one, good chance its on at another in the valley. Niseko is also great, snow condition is top notch, village is good for nightlife (which isn't really a big thing at japanese resorts) and plenty easily accessed off-piste

Legends! Cheers for the initial feedback. I guess my lady( someone other than my mrs and girlfriend!) wouldn't mind seeing a bit of culture too but my initial priority is getting some shred action.

I think cost is the main issue she's hesitant but as long as I can break it all down and write a semi decent budget then it shouldn't be a problem. I'll look into January but it's the busiest time of the summer for my bar and hard to score myself free time.

Looks like hakuba it is via bullet train and a bus, sweet! And cheers for the link to the accomm TJ.

Any more hints are appreciated! Free booze for one and all....seriously though, keep the mrs thing quiet.

If any of you head my way hit me up and it'd be good to have a yarn! As well as a few hangovers.

Cheers