News of 40cm falling yesterday, 19 Sep.

40cm in Austria. as low as 600m altitude. Too windy to get there, Cars need chains, and most lifts are not operating, but nevertheless thought it´s time to start the tread :D :thumbsup:

2 years ago, it was early Oct ( the locals said that never had happened in 25 years) Last year it was end of Oct when it snowed. Looks like it´s going to be an early season start .

The temp got cold where I am (south of Munich) and rained. The last days of warm weather is over.

I don´t think it´s going to snow locally soon but time to tune up my gear .

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SlipperyJim,

Depends on when you wanna go. Oct and Nov is all about timing, and logistics counts. (obviously) and you want to be there the next morning when it snows and hope it will snow the next few days (optimistic guesswork) ... so it´s not something to plan a week ahead imho..

I like Austrian glaciers (to start the season) and Italy in the low season.

By the looks of it, first week of Oct may be good to go - but who knows. Early Oct, a day´s dump might be good for only a few days and it might not snow again for two weeks. :wakaranai:

Yes, I should've given a few specifics. Probably would look to go in March, as past experience tells me skipping Jan-Feb in Japan to ski overseas is dumb.

Duration would be at least 10 days, more likely 14; need plenty of scenic and fun intermediate groomers and a decent amount of advanced (not expert) on/off-piste; obviously bottomless powder every morning is mandatory :lol: .

Would like comfortable digs, but don't need luxury; availability of a good restaurant a couple of times during the stay (can't imagine that's a problem).

Among the places I've looked into and/or had recommended: St Anton (top of the list right now), Davos, Cervinia, Val d'Isere, Cortina.

One friend who knows Europe suggested staying in Innsbruck and renting a car to hit dozens of great areas within an hour's drive.

Welcome advice, suggestions from those who know.

"If you are in Japan, skipping Jan-Feb to go Europe is dumb " - not wrong there, I agree. Last 2 years were inconsistant during that period in Europe. 2 seasons ago France had the pow. Last season was Italy.

Early season doesn´t mean a great season. I think GN said that, too, and hopefully this season is a good one.

Flying into Innsbruck is a good idea. There are bus transports from there so getting around is no problem. The only place that really need a car to get to is Zillartal/Mayrhofen from there. Another idea is Salzburg and go Dachstein, Kaprun, etc.

St.Anton spells expensive .. like Swiss. If I go St. Anton, I´d carry a beacon and get a guide. Serious freeride action . Bring a friend at least cos I feel safer to have another pair of eyes.

If you have 2 weeks in March, I´d consider Dolomiti Italia ..boy it´s huge area !

Thanks, Jynxx.

I found a place to stay in Lech that seems not unreasonable (given current yen strength). Question is whether it will still be available when I'm ready to make a booking, which probably won't be until I check the wallet after a November US visit. From what I can see, Lech seems to have a lot to offer, and is close enough to St Anton to head over there for day trips.

I have heard good things about Lech from friends as well.

Glad there was an early start, here's hoping it wasn't just a tease like the Aussie early start!

I'll be in Zermatt first week of Jan - a weeks road trip - then back for the 3rd week of Jan.

I have heard good things about Lech from friends as well.

Glad there was an early start, here's hoping it wasn't just a tease like the Aussie early start!

I'll be in Zermatt first week of Jan - a weeks road trip - then back for the 3rd week of Jan.

MB there is real snow there - its not a tease.. :)

We have tried to avoid the Big resorts with autobahn skiing, for our Feb trip.

Checkout Hochfugen for offpiste freeriding in the Zillertal (some stuff on Youtube).

Also going to Arosa in Switzerland and the Innsbruck resorts (we like Axamer Lizum because it got offpiste trees).

But still going to miss the J-powder & trees - maybe an April trip.

Hochzillertal is where I leart how to snowboard from my Missus. I have fond and painful memories - not exactly a place for beginners.

But the place starts early, so it is one of the places we go. Hochzillertal and Hochfugen is connected and gives us a lot of places to go. Off piste is easy access and more like ungloomed sidecountry. Still, it´s a big mountain.

So many mountains, so little time!

You aint kidding buddy! :omg:

And so many of them 4000+m peaks - that's a lot of sliding to get through everything that is on offer onpiste - let alone off piste!

All the more reason to get started!