New Niigata shinkansen station - 'Joetsu Myoko Station' (updated)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, how did it end up being selected? Poll had no bearing?     Am I the only one who wants to read that as "Myoko Koden"?

I regularly travelled 4 hrs just to get to yuzawa so 1 extra hour to go to Myoko area would be fine. The swing wouldn't be the shink, but the time from station to resort....which is why I rarely went

I don't think Tokyo is full of people who have lots of money to go to on extra trips just because an hour or two less travelling will be involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha....yes....Abenomics inspired my return.

I haven't weighed myself (I'm literally just home) but the gut reflected back in the mirror says that Im a fuller beaver than when I left

:lol:

Can anyone tell me:

1. How far is Wakinoda Station (basically where the new shink station is being built) from Myoko Kogen skijo?

2. When will the shink to Myoko Joetsu open?

3. How much further in travel time will it be from Nagano (i.e. total travel time from Tokyo - I'm guessing about 2 hours).

Whatever the case, with an early enough departure, you'll be able to do day trips from Tokyo.

Thanks!

SdS

Can anyone tell me:

1. How far is Wakinoda Station (basically where the new shink station is being built) from Myoko Kogen skijo?

2. When will the shink to Myoko Joetsu open?

3. How much further in travel time will it be from Nagano (i.e. total travel time from Tokyo - I'm guessing about 2 hours).

Whatever the case, with an early enough departure, you'll be able to do day trips from Tokyo.

Thanks!

SdS

People living closer will know better than me, but I guess you're looking at 40 minutes or so each way by bus to the lifts from the Shinkansen station for Nozawa and Myoko. Discounted trips on the Nagano shink to Karuizawa are around 8500 return offpeak for a shorter train ride and no bus/lifts, so I guess you're looking at 15,000 minimum for train, bus and lift ticket in a discounted package.

For day trips, it makes more sense to use the Niigata shink.

Thanks, Mr Wiggles,

I know I was being a bit lazy not wading back through all of this thread to dig out the answers... Anyway, I have done Kagura day trips via Echigo Yuzawa more times than I can count, so I know the tricks and exactly how long that takes (our record's about 95 minutes from Tokyo Station to arrival at Mitsumata Ropeway if you catch the 07:00 fast train and assuming there's no taxi queue at Echigo), but I'm really looking forward to the chance to go somewhere decent on the Nagano Shink, which is traditionally a lot quieter than the Niigata.

For those who don't know, Hakuba is really not day-trippable - once you have caught the first bus from Nagano Eki Higashiguchi it will be late morning before you are likely to be on the snow - even if you going to Goryu, which is the first place the bus stops in Hakuba. Taxi is a possibility if you are sharing with others but it won't be much faster and it will be a lot more expensive. Same story for Shiga - great bus journey, but it takes time, and a taxi to the far end costs 15,000 yen, I know this from personal experience.

Should be interesting to see if Myoko or Madarao is realistically worth the effort for a day trip. Maybe. If only Karuizawa had more decent snow and a bigger mountain, I often think. Prince Hotels probably think the same.

SdS

• 1 month later...