New Niigata shinkansen station - 'Joetsu Myoko Station' (updated)

The name of the line is apparently going to change to the Hokuriku Shinkansen after being the Nagano Shinkansen for fifteen years, so some folks aren't best pleased about that.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, how did it end up being selected? Poll had no bearing?     Am I the only one who wants to read that as "Myoko Koden"?

I regularly travelled 4 hrs just to get to yuzawa so 1 extra hour to go to Myoko area would be fine. The swing wouldn't be the shink, but the time from station to resort....which is why I rarely went

I don't think Tokyo is full of people who have lots of money to go to on extra trips just because an hour or two less travelling will be involved.

Wasn't it supposed to be called the Hokuriku Shinkansen originally? At least, that is what signs plastered all over Hokuriku were promising 15-20 years ago.

Maybe they could make everyone (or no one) happy, and just call it the Chouriku (長陸), or Kitano (北野) Shinkansen.

Huh, I always thought it was just Toyama, Ishikawa and Fukui prefectures, with Niigata being "the Etsus" (plus Sado) but Wikipedia says that some people include Niigata in the Hokuriku designation.

So looks like you're right.

What do folks living in Niigata think? Do you consider yourselves Hokurikuites?

On some maps it's been marked as the Nagano Shinkansen (Hokuriku Shinkansen). There was a thing on the tv the other day with the Nagano Governor talking about asking JR to shoehorn a "Nagano" into the name.

Japanese people seem to know what prefecture every town is in to an almost nerdy level, but I'm not sure they know the actual positions of places and what is on the way to where.

Getting back to the station name, but they're naming the station "Joetsu Myoko" in spite of it not being on the existing and well-known "Joetsu Shinkansen" line.

...and the Joetsu Shinkansen doesn't go through the Joetsu region of Niigata.

(It goes through the Chuetsu region. But past Joetsu Kokusai skijo, which is also not in Joetsu, but Chuetsu).

The Nagano/Hokuriku Shinkansen will go through the Joetsu region of Niigata.

:doh:

The Joetsu Shinkansen was named because it follows an old train line between Gunma (上州)and Niigata (越後).

Given that hardly anyone will know that Gunma is represented by 上, they should just rename that line the Niigata Shinkansen. If anyone wants to be precious about it, they should go the whole way and rename Gunma back to 上州 :p

I hope to goodness my kids won't be taught this kind of crap as history at school.

None of this is that odd. After all, Meguro Station is in Shinagawa ward, while Shinagawa Station is in Minato ward.

And when the new Shinjuku Station Building is opened, the bulk of Shinjuku Station will be in Shibuya ward (which at least can also claim Shibuya Station as it's own).

It's all a plot to keep the foreigners confused! :D

The Joetsu Shinkansen was named because it follows an old train line between Gunma (上州)and Niigata (越後).

Yes the Joetsu line doesn't even go through the Joetsu part of Niigata.

:doh:

I can't imagine Nagano people are too pleased with that dropping of that name either.

There seems to be no planning or logic in some of the naming of things like this. You think they'd take a more long term view.

I didn't actually know that!