New Niigata shinkansen station - 'Joetsu Myoko Station' (updated)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, how did it end up being selected? Poll had no bearing?     Am I the only one who wants to read that as "Myoko Koden"?

I regularly travelled 4 hrs just to get to yuzawa so 1 extra hour to go to Myoko area would be fine. The swing wouldn't be the shink, but the time from station to resort....which is why I rarely went

I don't think Tokyo is full of people who have lots of money to go to on extra trips just because an hour or two less travelling will be involved.

The Iiyama station will be pretty close to Myoko to really. One on either side!

I drove past the Iiyama station a couple of times this year - it looks huge.

The folks at Madarao Kogen are really excited as it is just 15 minutes or so up the hil to them and they are expectiing many more visitors.

I am not so excited :sadface:

It will be really interesting to see how it shakes up the popularity of places over there, and Yuzawa too. No doubt Yuzawa isn't thrilled at the prospect...

I think he means the affect it has on the daytrippers who would usually go to Yuzawa because its easy to get to.....they may now chose to go to Myoko area instead

Not just daytrippers, lots of people.

It seems fairly obvious to me that Yuzawa won't be particularly pleased.  

Not only is Myoko easier, but so is Madarao, Nozawa, Ryuo, etc.

I don't see that many daytrippers adding an extra hour of travel each way.

Many, many, many daytrippers do 2 hours to places.

This will make it much easier to do other places.

Considering the number of meetings and discussions regarding the new Nagano/Myoko/Toyama Shinkansen line going on in Yuzawa, I think it's safe to say that they are at least slightly concerned that Yuzawa tourism numbers will be affected.

There was a time when I'd drive 4 hours one-way to ski for a day, so I'm sure there will be people who'll take the shinkansen to Myoko, etc. on daytrips.

I'm just saying it's not going to be any massive shift that will hurt Yuzawa anymore than the original Nagano shinkansen did.

There's still plenty of good skiing in the Yuzawa (apologies, Muika, but it'll always be Yuzawa to me :friend: ) area that'll be a lot quicker to reach.

I'm just saying it's not going to be any massive shift that will hurt Yuzawa anymore than the original Nagano shinkansen did.

Cool.

Perhaps then you should go to Yuzawa and re-assure the tourism businesses there, who worry otherwise.

I regularly travelled 4 hrs just to get to yuzawa so 1 extra hour to go to Myoko area would be fine. The swing wouldn't be the shink, but the time from station to resort....which is why I rarely went to Nagano

• Like 1

Also agree.

In reality I don't suppose places like Suginohara will be much different from Iiyama or Joetsu Myoko, with the former being cheaper on the train. Will they do shuttles from both?

Tokyo-myokowhatsitsface will be 8500 or so one way based on the ol' price by distance shink thing. With two people and a bit of etc discount, it might be cheaper to hire a car for the weekend. Add a kid or another person and its no contest.

I reckon they'll end up heavily discounting the line like those trips to Gala. On the whole, I reckon Nozawa will benefit more than Myoko, but mainly from old dears going to sit in the onsen.

They'll have JR deals similar to the Yuzawa book. GALA is heavily discounted but then so are the other resorts. Kagura is generally 11k return for your shink and lift ticket....thats good value