New Niigata shinkansen station - 'Joetsu Myoko Station' (updated)

It was on the news today that the locals have decided that the best name for the new Shinkansen station near Joestsu on the new shink line would be "Myoko Takada".

Sounds like a good name to me, I bet Myoko will be happy.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, how did it end up being selected? Poll had no bearing?     Am I the only one who wants to read that as "Myoko Koden"?

I regularly travelled 4 hrs just to get to yuzawa so 1 extra hour to go to Myoko area would be fine. The swing wouldn't be the shink, but the time from station to resort....which is why I rarely went

I don't think Tokyo is full of people who have lots of money to go to on extra trips just because an hour or two less travelling will be involved.

Without sounding ignorant, but does this make much of a difference besides a change of names?

Doesn't "new station" mean that its a newly built one on the existing line, i.e., a new stop?

For sure.

But the station is half built, the location determined. So nothing can be done about that now.

For the people promoting Myoko, which is preferable - a nearby Shinkansen station with the word Myoko in it, or a nearby Shinkansen station without the word Myoko in it?

Without sounding ignorant, but does this make much of a difference besides a change of names?

Doesn't "new station" mean that its a newly built one on the existing line, i.e., a new stop?

Doh!

Didn't realize it was a NEW station!

Nothing to see here, please move on and carry on ignoring me. :D

Facepalm from me too because its not an existing line, its the new one.

I had a look at the map and if its in Takada, Joetsu, that's still a fair way to Myoko. The itsumo-navi site said it was 36km from the existing JR Takada station in Joetsu to Suginohara. Most of that's highway, but it costs money for buses to run on the highway too.

Deciding on the name of a new Shinkansen station is a big deal for everyone involved.

I suppose "Joetsu" just wouldn't be that interesting for that region. The words Myoko and Takada are both very well known and probably the best name for it cosidering where it is.

Apparently they had a poll and first and second were names with "Echigo" in them. The Myoko Takada name was a distant third.

Out of curiosity, how did it end up being selected? Poll had no bearing?

55b0dfd9-s.jpg

Am I the only one who wants to read that as "Myoko Koden"?

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...