Welcome to the new SnowJapanForums [+ ongoing updates]

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the new Forums! Sorry it took as long as it did to get everything sorted.   Our regular members will already have noticed a big difference in the way everything looks. It's not just a big

Give Bob an extra-big bone. Hilary, Ben and silly-sausage, too.

OK we have just changed the time stamp settings on posts.   Now, posts made within the last hour will say "posted x minutes ago" and other posts made today and yesterday will say when they were post

Regarding uploading photos, can I upload directly from pics I have saved on my computer instead of having to post first to an online host (e.g. photobucket) to get a URL?

I recently uploaded a couple of vids direct from my computor to SJ TV and was hoping to be able to do the same for pics

Cheers,

the other Sj

I had a quick look about a week ago and just a bit of a look round now.

Light years away from what it was. Just love it so far and excited to look round and find out more.

Obviously massive amounts of work and effort gone into this.

Very well done.

Woahh!! What a change!

Looking good at first glimpse, I'll have a good look around when I get a few minutes to spare (not until the weekend, I fear).

The best thing about the old forum was the 'X unread posts' hyperlink. I am hoping you have carried that feature over to this new forum.

At first glace my feeling is something like "looks flashy (which I don't care about) and I cant find anything any more (annoying)" but hopefully I will be able to post again in a week or so after getting used to it and say how much I love this new design.

Anyway, otsukaresama.

• SnowJapan Admin

There is a number next to View New Content in brackets below the search box - that is your new content.

It's not the same.

It will need a day or two to settle down, but once it gets going it should be ok.

You're not going to be able to find things any more - thats because everything is new! There's no way round that, I'm afraid.

I think you will find, bobby, that this new set up is absolutely not about being flashy. It's all basically about functionality and there is a ton of user-friendliness sprinkled all over the place. But we wanted it to look good at the same time, can't see anything wrong in that.

:friend:

No, you are absolutely right....should have asked first. :blush: Sorry wasn't thinking. Just enjoying the moment and messing around in Photoshop for a few minutes....brain on auto pilot after a full day out in sun.

The original file and low res file were just too big.

I like that you threw out the sidebar on the forum indexes and threads, that is a big improvement. But there is still a lot of noise at the top of the screen ("above the fold"), 7 rows of navigation menus actually.

I was not exag. about the view new posts function. When I come to the forum, what I want to know is if there are any new comments/threads, and then to click a link to be taken right to the new content. When you added that 'X new comments' function to the old forum I thought it was really kickass. I guess I can bookmark the 'view new content' link and use that instead of the standard forum index, although it includes content from forums that I dont read so it is not ideal.

This is not criticism just comments for your consideration as clearly you are aiming high with this forum design. (If it is not welcome I will just be quiet or offer woos and high fives, but as a developer myself I always prefer to hear the more negative opinions.)

• SnowJapan Admin

Your comments are fine, bobby. Like I said in my original post, it is simply impossible for us to please everyone and we accept that.

Everyone is going to have preferences about almost every aspect of the forums.

Case in point, some people are sad about the sidebar no longer shown on every post.

I think we really like the top area there though, so I wouldn't expect any big changes there. ;)

Played around with it for about 30 minutes, big improvements.

Snazzy but also some really useful stuff.

Basic thing but I really like the bigger text and more spacey feel.

Well done!