• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So here is our new logo. We hope you like it.   It took us about 2 months to get it locked down with the help of a very talented logo designer type dude (to whom SJ1 apologises for being so massi

It was really difficult getting those mountains right.   I gave the designer about 20 photos that I thought might make for good shapes, but lots of them didn't work as well as I thought. I wanted

Looks good I think. I admire the attention to detail, but does it matter? I'm sure most people won't notice.

Stickers look great too.

I think David said it really well here, seemore:

These Forums represent a very big change and we realise that not everyone will like such big changes. It is definitely going to take a while to get used to the new setup... I have been using this online for three months now and I am still finding new cool things that our programmer put in that I did not know about!

But to move forward, change was necessary. And we believe that this new platform is a huge step forward.

that was my impression as well Chris, a little "Pepsi"....not a bad thing although I'm sure you don't want any virtual knocks by their lawyers!! :lol:

Its gonna take a while to get used to the new layout but its definitely cool. 1 thing though, before when I clicked on a thread it would take me to the last read post....that doesn't appear to happen anymore, is this a setting I can adjust or is it just the way it is now? I'm lazy and don7t like trawling through which ones I've read before! :)

• SnowJapan Admin

See the little round dot to the left of a topic in the list? Click on that to go to the first unread post.

OR

from the main forums index page, click on the name of the thread shown as the most recently updated one to go to the last unread post in that thread.

:friend:

cheers david.....sorry another Q.......with the change over, does the forum not remember the threads I've been in already when it was the old format? When I press the button, it always takes me to the 1st post.

I agree, when I first saw it I thought Pepsi lol (only at first glance). It looks good though...now for some reason I want to push it like a button, haha.

I'll sport some stickers when the come out!

• SnowJapan Admin

cheers david.....sorry another Q.......with the change over, does the forum not remember the threads I've been in already when it was the old format? When I press the button, it always takes me to the 1st post.

Not sure I follow you there, what 'button' do you mean Tubby?

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes, if there is a new post that little graphic will be bold and if you click on it you should be taken to the lastest unread post.

In the case of you posting in the thread, the icon becomes a bit like a quote bubble rather than just a dot, but the functionality is the same.

:friend:

• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks for the comments both in here and in mails.

Just to add a few comments and answer a few questions.

I thought it was about time that we had a proper 'logo'. It's pretty amazing that we haven't had a really proper one until now. Decided that was to be part of the plan to move forward in late May/early June, and started working with a designer and had this all fixed up by the end of July.

What we really didn't want was a cliched and obvious design. So no skiers, boarders, snowflakes, temples, etc. I wanted something bold and something that would be easily recognizable. Apart from that, the only thing initially I told the designer was that we could like some sort of subtle 'Japan' reference in there along with the idea of perhaps using a globe. I'm a bit of a frustrated designer myself in that I know what I like in my head but I just don't have the skills to actually get it happening on a computer, so it was reallyexciting to see it all come together over that period of time. I really enjoyed doing that, tons of fun.

What does it mean? If you want it to mean anything you have the globe, the red blob which can be the 'Japan' bit, the swooshy S (we have been known to use swooshes for quite a while now!) which can stand for our name, and the little reflected mountain icon - the mountains shape is actually some of the local mountains here in Minamiuonuma.

Obviously, the top graphic on the Forums here is based on a large sea creature.

But I'm well pleased with it and very happy that we made that move.

It will eventually be appearing on the main site and in a few different guises in other places too.

that was my impression as well Chris, a little "Pepsi"....not a bad thing although I'm sure you don't want any virtual knocks by their lawyers!! :lol:

Its gonna take a while to get used to the new layout but its definitely cool. 1 thing though, before when I clicked on a thread it would take me to the last read post....that doesn't appear to happen anymore, is this a setting I can adjust or is it just the way it is now? I'm lazy and don7t like trawling through which ones I've read before! :)

my friend asked if I had joined a Pepsi forum.

But all good anyway . I like it, it's the choice of a new generation :)

Makes me laugh this. It really doesn't look much like Pepsi at all.

In fact, this is far superior if you care to take a look.

Funny how people have to associate something with something else on first sight.

Any design is going to be compared with another design.

Must be pretty annoying to go to the obvious care and trouble they have done and just get cheap quips like that.

After that short blast of seriousness, I'll go and be silly in another topic now.

• SnowJapan Admin

It's ok, I find this more amusing than anything.

Don't take it personally, and I think it's natural that people compare things to something they already know. It's just what people do.

You're right though, ours is way better than Pepsi. :p

The first unread post should work whether you have posted in it or not, Tubby, I think.

Well any thread that I click on that little button that I had entered before the move, puts me on the 1st the page of the thread. Nevermind I'm just gonna trawl through. After being in the thread now, when clicking the button, it takes me to the first unread post.

• SnowJapan Admin

Tubby, if a topic has new posts, the title should be a darker, bolder colour.

To the left of the name of the topic, you should see a small circular dark colored icon, or, if you have posted in that topic, something that looks like some quote balloons.

Clicking on that and you should be taken to the first unread post.

Is that not happening?

yeah, it is now that I have entered the thread, whether I post in it or not. But if I haven't entered the thread since before the change over, then when I press the darkened little circle it takes me to the 1st post of the thread, as opposed to the 1st UNREAD post of the thread. like I said, its no biggie, just means i gotta go into it on page 1 then flick to the last post manually