'Seismic change in attitude' - foreign execs leaving Japan

Just been a piece on CNN about how, apparently, a lot of gaijin execs are still leaving Japan 'in large numbers'. Not just those feathered-friends who fled in the days after March 11th, but a flow of 'highly educated execs' continuing to leave even now as worries increase. They interviewed a family leaving Tokyo for China 'we don't know if we can drink the water or not, etc'.

This a big of sensational reporting, or actually happening?

Yeah I saw that. I don't usually watch that Cruddy news channel but happened to be flicking through. Of course I don't live in Tokyo and I'm not a Gaij Exec, but I haven't heard any new reports of Gaij fleeing.....the people at Chewing the Fat say it best....

Often these execs dont actually want to come here, hence the high salaries etc, but now they have a valid reason to refuse to come here. Therefore I would imagine there is some difficulty getting/keeping the talent here.

The bigger problem for Japan is relocation of factories to mainland asia (to reduce risk from tsunami etc), this will take a few years to kick in but it is going to lead to a lot of unemployment, and also make it hard for factories that stay in Japan to compete due to reduced availability of shipping and raw materials etc.

It just seems like one problem after another for Japans economy, is there ever any good news?

I think lots of the gaijin execs living in their luxury bubble lifestyle simply aren't really interested in Japan. It's as if they are not here, just taking advantage of all those lovely perks they get living in a world that isn't real. They're almost like a rank below Fairweather Friends.

Good riddens I say. grandpa

Originally Posted By: bobby12
The bigger problem for Japan is relocation of factories to mainland asia (to reduce risk from tsunami etc), this will take a few years to kick in but it is going to lead to a lot of unemployment, and also make it hard for factories that stay in Japan to compete due to reduced availability of shipping and raw materials etc.

It just seems like one problem after another for Japans economy, is there ever any good news?

The migration of manufacturing facilities and manufacturing jobs to "mainland Asia" (The PRC) is primarily due to cheap labor and reduced operating costs due in part to not having to deal with the kinds of strict envrionmental and labour laws in "more developed" countries.

Same thing happened to manufacturing jobs in The USA and Canada. Definitely unfortunate though, but in bad economic times when consumers want to spend less and companies are grasping at straws to maintain a profit margin adequate enough to stay in business, it's pretty hard not to move your production to "slave labor camp #13" in China. At least in Japan, there is a greater amount of Nationalistic pride amongst consumers where they will try to buy a Japanese-made product over a China one, as opposed to the Wal-Mart shopping mentality in the States.
Originally Posted By: Geeh
I think lots of the gaijin execs living in their luxury bubble lifestyle simply aren't really interested in Japan. It's as if they are not here, just taking advantage of all those lovely perks they get living in a world that isn't real. They're almost like a rank below Fairweather Friends.

Good riddens I say. grandpa

I think you hit the nail on the head there! thumbsup

I know a few that have gone recently and not been replaced.

They were spoilt cry-babies anyway, their attitude in general made me want to hurl so I'm glad to see the back of them. Not sure what the company thinks about it all though.

Ezorisu: Yes there has been a general trend to move to asia for a long time, but quite a few companies had very close scares in this earthquake and I think it has brought their heads out of the sand and they are starting to make more concrete steps to move production away to less risky climes.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
I know a few that have gone recently and not been replaced.

They were spoilt cry-babies anyway, their attitude in general made me want to hurl so I'm glad to see the back of them. Not sure what the company thinks about it all though.

Guess the company didn't think them worth replacing, either.
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
Yeah I saw that. I don't usually watch that Cruddy news channel but happened to be flicking through. Of course I don't live in Tokyo and I'm not a Gaij Exec, but I haven't heard any new reports of Gaij fleeing.....the people at Chewing the Fat say it best....

haha what's that from tubbs?

One guy I know has had enough and decided to move to China after being offered a place there. He was out for 3 weeks in late March too. One of the type of dude who hardly knows any Japanese people outside of work and not interested either.

Moving from one bubble to another.

When these guys go back "home" do they ever suffer from actually getting back to living in reality where they are not quite as fussed over?

Its not really fair to criticise them, these guys didnt want to come to Japan they got sent here by the company. They are just career-heads usually and will go anywhere so long as the money is good. I think that is OK and they do not need to share our love of Japan to spend a year or so here.

No it's not that bobby.

Some of them treat Japan almost with utter contempt. Thats what I don't like.

And they get over-inflated egos the size of... well, a very big thing.

People dealing with executive real estate will know if this is true or not. I suspect that a fair few will have gone. Like the people referred to as flyjin, I can't say I blame them either. You're better off directing your anger at the Japanese government for covering up for Tepco and doing a shit job of dealing with the problem and looking after people.

As for the other point, you don't need to be a hotshot expat to get very fussed over in Japan. See Charisma Man for details.

Its just business. Some people love McDs and may call me a hater for not going there often enough or not treating it with the reverance it deserves, when in fact it is just a difference of opinion. I will go there if it has value to offer me, but I have no obligation to disguise my contempt if I am comfortable with that.