Echoland in Hakuba seems to be kind of in the middle between Goryu/47 on one side and Happo on the other. And not actually at the base of a resort itself. But good for nightlife. Reasonable comments?

So I need to basically get a bus to get to the slopes wherever I decide to ride?

The shuttles stop around midnight and taxis around then too some nights so getting back to your digs can be a bit problematic if you stay some ways away. Some accom in Echoland provide transport to the resort of your choice each morning and will come pick you up. Some lodge owners have even been known to put you onto somewhat "secret" stashes too. I stay in Echoland as I like to be quickly stroll back after a bevy or 30, esp after a late one at 902. I know others prefer to stay closer to the lifts but with 5 resorts and lots of snow there is always oppurtunities for 1st tracks...

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Some accom in Echoland provide transport to the resort of your choice each morning and will come pick you up. Some lodge owners have even been known to put you onto somewhat "secret" stashes too.

This is not some kind of special "Echoland bonus".... it is the same for each area.

Hope it didnt come across that way, Im sure there LOTS of places that will drop you off etc. Just cant see the lodge guys coming to get you at 2am after being looked after at Master .. smile smile smile

Its different for all. Having done true ski in/out at Shiga it was fantastic. Will Hakuba ever get there on mass? Im not sure, but that would be as silly as linking a couple more resorts or having valley wide tickets smile

Group of 4 of us thinking about going to Hakuba this winter for 5 or 6 days and I think we will choose between staying either in Echoland or Wadanonomori. Still haven't decided yet, weighing it all up. Both looks good to me.

I usually stay at the bottom of Goryu. There are a few good bars and restaurants around there and it has a nostalgia factor for me... It's pretty convenient for hitting up Goryu (of course!), Hakuba 47 (when the link at the top of the mountain isn't closed!!) and also Cortina because it is a short walk to the train station. I drive though so don't need to worry too much about getting around using public transport. The few times I have used the shuttle buses have been frustrating because of irregular schedules and crowding.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
The few times I have used the shuttle buses have been frustrating because of irregular schedules and crowding.

This. While I like Hakuba and the surrounding area, after driving up the last few times, and not having to rely on public transport, it has been much more entertaining and convenient.
  • 3 weeks later...

Wadano is a good location - near to the slopes of Happo-one

There is also a free night time shuttle bus to get you to the other areas of Hakuba, including the supermarkets!

Stay in Echoland if you want to walk to the restaurants and bars in the evening. It is easy to get to the different resorts each morning. It is not necessarily a good thing to stay at the base of a lift especially if that lift is on hold on a powder morning. Make sure you have access to other options.

Any personal recommendations on the accommodation front?? I have a couple in mind but as always, it would be good to hear from those in the know! :)

Bearsden in goryu has always been good to me

If you're coming in a group of four or more (maybe even just three), I think renting a car is a great idea.

I know its an expense, but its a very minor one compared to the cost of getting here from overseas and skiing in the first place.

With a car, you can stay in whatever area you like, it makes very little difference.

More importantly, you can see the whole town, just like all the Japanese people who come here. And the good places just outside town or a bit further away, depending on how adventurous you want to be.

Any personal recommendations on the accommodation front?? I have a couple in mind but as always, it would be good to hear from those in the know! :)

Bearsden in goryu has always been good to me

Bearsden in Glasgow is a real sh*thole! :lol:

If you're coming in a group of four or more (maybe even just three), I think renting a car is a great idea.

I know its an expense, but its a very minor one compared to the cost of getting here from overseas and skiing in the first place.

With a car, you can stay in whatever area you like, it makes very little difference.

More importantly, you can see the whole town, just like all the Japanese people who come here. And the good places just outside town or a bit further away, depending on how adventurous you want to be.

Agree 100% (unless you've never driven in snow before!)