Fukushima Daiichi latest - hows the clear up going?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk0WzCtF0yY

Basically they haven't got a f+*>ing clue what they are doing and are just messing things up more and more and refusing proper international help. By the time this problem is sorted I will be abou

I know some people in the same situation and either moved or moving.

Would be interesting to know the situation there. I suspect there's a lot of movement away from the area, not just immediate around any arbitrary exclusion zone.

Fukushima radiation levels '18 times higher' than thought

:doh:

Radiation levels around Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant are 18 times higher than previously thought, Japanese authorities have warned.

Last week the plant's operator reported radioactive water had leaked from a storage tank into the ground.

It now says readings taken near the leaking tank on Saturday showed radiation was high enough to prove lethal within four hours of exposure.

The plant was crippled by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) had originally said the radiation emitted by the leaking water was around 100 milliseverts an hour.

However, the company said the equipment used to make that recording could only read measurements of up to 100 milliseverts.

The new recording, using a more sensitive device, showed a level of 1800 milliseverts an hour.

The new reading will have direct implications for radiation doses received by workers who spent several days trying to stop the leak last week, the BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes reports from Tokyo.

In addition, Tepco says it has discovered a leak on another pipe emitting radiation levels of 230 milliseverts an hour.

The plant has seen a series of water leaks and power failures.

The 2011 tsunami knocked out cooling systems to the reactors, three of which melted down.

The damage from the tsunami has necessitated the constant pumping of water to cool the reactors.

This is believed to be the fourth major leak from storage tanks at Fukushima since 2011 and the worst so far in terms of volume.

After the latest leak, the Japanese nuclear energy watchdog raised the incident level from one to three on the international scale that measures the severity of atomic accidents.

Experts have said the scale of water leakage may be worse than officials have admitted.

:doh:

The plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), said radiation near the bottom of the tank measured 1,800 millisieverts an hour – high enough to kill an exposed person in four hours.

And yet people can live 20km away?!

Who are they kidding?

The plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), said radiation near the bottom of the tank measured 1,800 millisieverts an hour – high enough to kill an exposed person in four hours.

Who are they kidding?

Everyone.

Well, trying to.

1.8 Sieverts/hour?? Wow, that's...toasty.

What are the levels 20 km away? Therein would lie the answer.

As bad as it may be to stand next to one of those tanks on-site, 20 km away is a different story.

Radiation seems unlikely to me to spread from those tanks to a site 20 km away over land.

It's not like the early days when the molten cores were belching radioactive products into the atmosphere, which did spread contamination far and wee.

The sea on the other hand will be spreading those particles far and wide......although the pacific is a vast body of water. I saw a news thing about them testing fish from ishinomaki....but I didn't catch what was said....anybody else see that?

all the shit we don't know about yet.

You know, like the tanks thing that we didn't know about until a few weeks back.

All the realities that are there but we're not hearing yet.

The drip feed of alarming situations.

There's lots of them isn't there.

I'm thinking of moving to the area. Property prices must be pretty competitive now, what with all the sissy boys not wanting to live near a leaking nuclear plant that could give up completely next time a strong quake hits! Pfffft!

all the shit we don't know about yet.

You know, like the tanks thing that we didn't know about until a few weeks back.

All the realities that are there but we're not hearing yet.

The drip feed of alarming situations.

There's lots of them isn't there.

Yeah definitely.....this gonna drag on and on. It amazes me that TEPCO are the ones directing the "clean up"

I have admired your positive-ness through all this Metabo Oyaji, and indeed the crazy. sensationalism around the time was sometimes very annoying (meltdown!!!......er.,,,,) but I think perhaps 'they' have earned the increasing mistrust that many people have regarding what we are told about Daiichi....and indeed their ability to even know what the hell is going on over there.

Wouldn't live within 100km of the place, preferably way further away.

I'm thinking of moving to the area. Property prices must be pretty competitive now, what with all the sissy boys not wanting to live near a leaking nuclear plant that could give up completely next time a strong quake hits! Pfffft!

Glow in the dark land. Got to have an appeal!