Fukushima Daiichi latest - hows the clear up going?

I recorded that documentary, haven't watched it yet.

Is it part of a series?

Like watching these ones.

I don't think it's regular like every week or every month.

Just a special every now and again.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk0WzCtF0yY

Basically they haven't got a f+*>ing clue what they are doing and are just messing things up more and more and refusing proper international help. By the time this problem is sorted I will be abou

• 3 weeks later...

This doing some rounds...

Exposure to radioactive material released into the environment has caused mutations in butterflies found in Japan, a study suggests.

Scientists found an increase in leg, antennae and wing shape mutations among butterflies collected following the 2011 Fukushima accident.

The link between the mutations and the radioactive material was shown by laboratory experiments, they report.

The work has been published in the journal Scientific Reports.

Two months after the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant accident in March 2011, a team of Japanese researchers collected 144 adult pale grass blue (Zizeeria maha) butterflies from 10 locations in Japan, including the Fukushima area.

When the accident occurred, the adult butterflies would have been overwintering as larvae.

Unexpected results

By comparing mutations found on the butterflies collected from the different sites, the team found that areas with greater amounts of radiation in the environment were home to butterflies with much smaller wings and irregularly developed eyes.

"It has been believed that insects are very resistant to radiation," said lead researcher Joji Otaki from the University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa.

"In that sense, our results were unexpected," he told BBC News.

• 6 months later...

Here's an honest sober question, as we just had a quake in Tochigi today.

How stable/safe are the Fukushima places now?

I know they haven't implemented my "dome" concept yet (they jolly well should), but wondering if that's just going to be forever unsafe.

They have been clearing a lot of debris from the tops of Units 3 and 4.

I think they are supposed to have the Unit 4 spent-fuel pool unloaded in the next year or two.

Then it'll be on to the others, I guess.

They did put that tent over Unit 1. Not exactly a dome, but perhaps at least a nod in pie-eater's direction?

:doh:

Wonder how many people have moved out of Fukushima in the last 2 years.

Rational or not, I know I sure wouldn't be sticking around, though as my family are not from there and an 'alien' I suppose it's easy to say that.

:doh:

Wonder how many people have moved out of Fukushima in the last 2 years.

Rational or not, I know I sure wouldn't be sticking around, though as my family are not from there and an 'alien' I suppose it's easy to say that.

Aside from resort-like areas, you don't get that much movement of people to the countryside in Japan, so the vast majority will have family there.

The situation in the article sounds like mental torture.

As you might expect there's quite a few 'specials' on this week and the coming weekend about the earthquake and Fukushima issues.

Check out NHK in particular.

• 2 weeks later...

Some issues I see

Cooling systems to spent fuel ponds at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant have been partially restored after a power failure, operator Tepco says.

The outage hit ponds at reactors 1, 3 and 4, although cooling to the reactors themselves was not affected.

Cooling had been restored to the pool at reactor 1, with cooling at the reactor 3 and 4 pools expected to resume on Tuesday evening, Tepco said.

It is assessing the cause of the outage, which began on Monday evening.

The "highest priority" was being placed on restoring the cooling system to the spent fuel pool at reactor 4, Kyodo news agency quoted Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) spokesperson Masayuki Ono as saying.

I was re-assured when I read that Tepco were "doing all that they can to restore power"....phew!! Thank god their actions 2 years ago instil reassurance in their ability to handle big boy situations

Well, hearing that is enough for me.

:thumbsup:

Though I do hope they will notice my detailed plans for a Fukushima Dome to go over this silly 'reactor'.

Though I still can't believe these rods need cooling down after two whole years!

Simply get tons of crushed ice put on the things, that'll sure cool them down.

I'm sure it can't be that difficult to get that much crushed ice.

:wakaranai:

A rat may have caused this week's power outage at Japan's tsunami-hit Fukushima nuclear power plant, says the Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco).

The company suspects the rodent may have caused a short-circuit in a switchboard, triggering the power cut.

"We have deeply worried the public, but the system has been restored," Tepco spokesman Masayuki Ono was quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

Two years ago a massive quake-triggered tsunami caused meltdowns at the plant.

The plant was brought under control in December 2011 and Monday's crisis was the first time since then that so many facilities had been affected by electrical failure at the same time, Tepco admits.

The power cut shut down cooling systems for four spent fuel ponds at reactors 1, 3 and 4 on Monday evening, although cooling to the reactors themselves was not affected.

The system cooling water which contained spent - but still highly radioactive - nuclear fuel rods failed and it took engineers some 30 hours to repair the damage.

All cooling systems were operational by early Wednesday morning, Tepco said.

It said it found burn marks on a makeshift power switchboard and a 15cm (six-inch) dead animal nearby.

The company released an image of an apparent rodent carcass inside the switchboard unit.

Correspondents say the incident has highlighted the fragility of the rescue operation at Fukushima two years after the meltdowns caused a major release of radiation.

The Japanese government insists that the reactors are in a "cold shutdown" state and no longer releasing high levels of radiation.

But company officials admit they are still using makeshift power systems as they struggle to decommission - or shut down - down the facility, a process expected to take decades.