Fukushima Daiichi latest - hows the clear up going?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk0WzCtF0yY

Basically they haven't got a f+*>ing clue what they are doing and are just messing things up more and more and refusing proper international help. By the time this problem is sorted I will be abou

Didn't you hear, we got a new PM! Yay! Everything is going to change for the better!!!

Now we have an excuse not to think about the pension crisis, economic crisis, nuclear crisis, or the fact that China is stepping on our toes all the time. This new PM fix will keep me occupied for about 6 months I reckon before I lose interest and start thinking about issues again, then it might be time for another PM change fix.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Arnie is saying that the reactors are still emitting tons of gases and is still very worried about it all.

They are probably emitting something still, but I don't think they are contaminating the surrounding areas to any great extent on a continuing basis. This can be checked by watching the contamination maps here:
http://www.snowjapan.com/e/japan-tohoku-earthquake/radiation-concerns.html

Or, for that matter, in the daily paper.

The numbers are not going up anywhere that I have noticed, which they would be if the power plant were still emitting anything significant. It is to be hoped that the containment efforts will continue to keep things that way.

The thing, I think, to worry about is stuff that already escaped back in March, and is only now being discovered (Hi, Tokabochi! wave) , or is accumulating in certain places, like drainage ditches and waste processing plants. And, of course, food, through bioaccumulation. (Hey, sometimes being at the top of the food chain is not all it is cracked up to be.)

Fortunately, almost all of the contamination that has been found so far has been cesium, not strontium. (Cesium passes out of the body in a few months, whereas strontium binds to the bones in place of calcium and stays there forever.)

And yes, this post is meant to be reassuring. smile
  • 2 months later...