Snowboarding in Japan compared to Australia

what is happening there is no one is issuing finance for such an operation and it got shelved.

There was also issues with climate change activists claiming it was going to blow the bank on emissions - although there was much research on options along the lines of lining the roof with solar panels etc.

Bottom line - talked to the brains of the operation over a warm Gluewien a couple of months ago and they are investigating doing the project with dry slope.

Still requires a bucket load of finance and the banks are not all that friendly at the moment.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries - next time there is a WASTED gathering I will let you know and you can pick their brains for yourself biggrin

Actually... hanging for a WASTED get together!

If there hasn't been one before mid October (busy till then) I will organize one myself.

If we had a meet up in Runcorn, we could move over to Llandudno in North Wales for a go on their slope too

party

1420.jpg

Actually Llandudno looks much better and properly set up than Runcorn.

Australia can be fun but the problem is the conditions can be variable even during peak season. Japan is guaranteed to have a lot more snow which stays dryer for longer. Snowmaking and farming is the only thing that keeps the resorts viable in Oz. It is visually beautiful and I have some very fond memories but as far as I'm concerned it's all about the snow quality and quantity which is why I moved here. If I lived in Oz I would probably ride there still but I would be choosing my trips based on conditions rather than booking in advance and hoping for the best.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
Are the temps at Oz resorts generally below 0 during winter, just that it doesn't snow so much or is it regularly above 0?
Regularly above 0

Sounds like you guys might be contenders for the next winter olympics then! Get your bid ready for 2022!

I've snowboarded in Australia. N.Z. Switzerland, Scotland, Canada, U.S.A. Honshu and Hokkaido. So in comparison to those places, this is what I've come up with.

Skiing in Oz, Pros and Con

Cons

Very expensive, roughly double what you pay in Japan.

Often crowded, long lift lines during holiday periods

Sporadic snow falls, it can go 6-8 weeks between falls and it's often accompanied with rain.

Surface lifts, there's hundreds of them. You pay top dollar for the crapyest type of lift.

Pros

I can drive there from my house with a car full of everything I need.

Snow conditions can be awesome if you time it right.

The terrain of the mountains is reasonable. The longest run is 6 km with a vertical of 672m.

The weather is often fantastic, basically it's 'spring skiing' all season.

It's unique. A beautiful part of the world. Not like anywhere else I've ever skied.

smile

Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho
aerial.jpg

this is the dry slope in Edinburgh

clap Yay for Gnarly Dry Brtitish Slopes!

The side country looks inviting !!

& the back country even better - I'm thinking one of those bars in little Princess street. cheers

actually I bet last year your thoughts were right on the money!! After all the snow they had, I saw a vid on Youtube of a guy skiing down Arthurs Seat!! But your out with the Princes (boy not girls wink ) Street bars, better bars in the Grassmarket! biggrin

I´ve skied in Australia about 20 years ago. It was still cheap and I was pleasantly surprised ! Snow was good. Reminded me of Shiga Kogen.

My skiing days were over then. I didn´t go back. Took me another 16 years to discover snowboarding to go EEEEEE HHAAAAAA.

So, it just might happen that Japan will do it for you.

I´ll be looking forward to snowboarding in Japan, and will be my first time. I won´t be wearing skis again, haha.

• 3 weeks later...