They just said on the news that the weight of the snow is increasing and is 605kg/sq m here in Niigata. (Not sure where abouts).

Tokamachi it is a 19 year record @ 1018kg/sq m

10cm*10cm*10cm = 1 litre = 1kg

1m*1m*1m = 1000 times the above, so yeah, 1 cubic metre is 1000kg (or 1 metric tonne).

The point of interest here is that the weights for the snow are quoted per square metre, not cubic. I guess that means that they're talking about how much the whole thickness of snow weighs. Ie, if the snow is 3m deep, then it's the equivalent of 3 cubic metres.

But how can you make a measurement of mass by only using a measurement of area?

Should this not be a m3 figure in the title?

BTW, I am an arts graduate and not to up to the play with numbers and stuff \:D

When you see snow on the roof from the ground level, it looks less than as is.

If it looks like just 60cm tall, it would be 1 meters when you climb the roof!!!

So I guess 1,018kg/square meter is possible to have if it's like more than 1 meter tall as Sven pointed.

Well, according to google:

fresh snow is 166.0 kilograms/cubic meter

packed snow is 470.5 kilograms/cubic meter

This makes packed snow just a little bit lighter than rice, so you can imagine that a pretty sturdy roof is needed to hold all those bags of rice up \:\)

And mogski, the reason they quote per sq m is that it's just the easiest way to guess when a house roof will cave in... a quote per cubic metre would be hard because the actual density would change from the fresh fluffy stuff on top down to the packed stuff below.

So they are really just saying something like:

If you haven't shovelled your roof, then this is how heavy the snow is, all things considered.

If you have shovelled, then it's even more of a guess \:\)

And gamera, perspective is cool... it's all about the angle of the dangle ;\)

My friend in Nagano told me that they have to go up there about 5 times a season, obviously depending on snowfall. I bet it works up an appetite. But if you're up there and working hard you can look forward to the cheese fondue and wine party once you've finished. \:D