Convince me to spend Xmas boarding in Japan?

I've just got a message from BA about a flights sale. Only 50,000 yen to Europe! But you have to book within two weeks!

A click to their site shows taxes and fees are 75,000 extra thumbsdown angry

And that was for the bleakdom of mid November in the UK.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I've just got a message from BA about a flights sale. Only 50,000 yen to Europe! But you have to book within two weeks!

A click to their site shows taxes and fees are 75,000 extra thumbsdown angry

And that was for the bleakdom of mid November in the UK.

It drives me nuts when headline ticket prices don't include taxes! Who on earth doesn't pay airport taxes? Bargain ticket for 50,000 Y and only 150% extra for taxes. But then again who can't resist lovely, dank England in November, and it will only cost you £1,000 to visit.
Originally Posted By: torihada
It drives me nuts when headline ticket prices don't include taxes!

Or enough fuel to complete the journey wink

They should all be made to give you the full price and not advertise prices like that.

It is a real bait-and-switch tactic. I suppose it's technically legal since the ``fare'' is what they're touting, but it certainly provokes expectations that won't be met and will generate disappointment and eventually dissatisfaction with the product.

confused

They know people don't like it but I think the reason they do it is to make it difficult for customers to know the actual price from advertising. It's basically an anti-competetive practice designed to prevent prices from being driven down and it really should be outlawed.

Originally Posted By: Gary
It's basically an anti-competetive practice designed to prevent prices from being driven down and it really should be outlawed.

Thankfully its been outlawed in Europe. Lets not get started on debit card charges, baggage charges,booking fees,use of toilet etc from the budget airlines........veryangry
It's basically an anti-competetive practice designed to prevent prices from being driven down and it really should be outlawed.

Thankfully its been outlawed in Europe. Lets not get started on debit card charges, baggage charges,booking fees,use of toilet etc from the budget airlines........veryangry

no its not. I've looked at the BA site for the same flight and it shows the same shit.....price (-tax etc) then press a button and its more than the advertisted price
Originally Posted By: TubbyBeaverinho

Thankfully its been outlawed in Europe.

no its not. I've looked at the BA site for the same flight and it shows the same shit.....price (-tax etc) then press a button and its more than the advertisted price

Mmmm I think you're right about Europe but not the UK.

I wonder if this because you're accessing the site from outside the UK and therefore its (BA) not subject to OFT rules?

"The OFT is empowered by the Enterprise Act 2002 to obtain court orders against traders that breach a range of consumer legislation including laws on misleading advertising and misleading pricing.

A DTI Code of Practice for Traders on Price Indications states that when advertising holiday and travel prices, any non-optional extra charges which are for fixed amounts should be included in the basic price and not shown as additions, unless they are only payable by some consumers. Contravention of the Code does not of itself give rise to any civil or criminal liability but evidence of breaches of the Code can be used to support a prosecution for the offence of giving a misleading price indication, contrary to the Consumer Protection Act 1987."
  • 2 weeks later...

I had one of my best Christmas dinners at a small ski hill in Akita; fresh snow, blue skies, with the kids, eating bowls of delicious 600yen ramen looking at the deserted slopes. Ahhhh drool.