The Hakkodate extension is due to open in 2016. I think I remember reading that the Sapporo extension is being planned for 2020. Certainly in my lifetime (fingers crossed wink ). Anyway, there are no current plans to even have a stop at Niseko.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
The Hakkodate extension is due to open in 2016. I think I remember reading that the Sapporo extension is being planned for 2020. Certainly in my lifetime (fingers crossed wink ). Anyway, there are no current plans to even have a stop at Niseko.

Wow, that is something that would seriously bolster the tourist industry and bring about some development. I'd be interested to take that up and see what it may actually provide!
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain

Not at Niseko station, but yes at Kutchan, which is where most people who arrive by train come in anyway.
Originally Posted By: MitchPee

Wow, that is something that would seriously bolster the tourist industry and bring about some development. I'd be interested to take that up and see what it may actually provide!

Remember it will run at Shinkansen prices, which are a lot more than flying with Skymark.
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Originally Posted By: MitchPee

Remember it will run at Shinkansen prices, which are a lot more than flying with Skymark.

And if it's anything like the prices during Obon to Kyoto then it will cost a pretty penny.

Was just talking about train prices over summer to some friends who could not believe that the price of the Shinkansen ticket from Yuzawa to Tokyo has not changed in (at least) 15 years, and I guess from when the line first started.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Aren't Shink prices the same every day and any time?

Nope, they do vary depending on how far in advance you book, if you book just the ticket or a deal, and if you pay by credit card, cash or suica.

Well, it can't be as wacky as here when a ticket can literally cost 5 times as much depending on the time of day. Must be a nightmare for tourists. We found the prices very simple in Japan.

You are just talking about special offers etc, Rob, aren't you? Buy a ticket at the station and it's pretty much the same price every time isn't it? Well, it was when we were there using them.

Well, it can't be as wacky as here when a ticket can literally cost 5 times as much depending on the time of day. Must be a nightmare for tourists. We found the prices very simple in Japan.

You are just talking about special offers etc, Rob, aren't you? Buy a ticket at the station and it's pretty much the same price every time isn't it? Well, it was when we were there using them.

Na seriously, regular prices can vary quite a lot, sometimes by 500yen, sometimes up to 3-4000yen.

Check on eki-net.

I don't use the train much but I know that if I go to the station and buy a ticket to Nagaoka, or Niigata, or Yuzawa - it's the same price it has been since I got here.

I know you can buy monthly tickets and perhaps there are some special deals to be had somewhere, but I don't know about those. Go to the station and prices are as stable as they possibly could be!

Perhaps it is an inaka thing.

Very seriously.

So you sat by the ticket machine and checked all the prices for the tickets at all the times throughout the day.

That is serious.
Er, no. There was a sign saying how much it was to each destination. Regardless of time. Even I could understand that.

Cool, I use eki-net to get my tickets though.
Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan
And ticket prices also vary if you buy reserved or unreserved seats too.

Well, yes. That's expected surely. First Class or Green whatever you call them vary from Standard!!! veryshocked

But they do not by the time of day.
And they do not vary by date.
And have not changed in 15+ years.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan
And ticket prices also vary if you buy reserved or unreserved seats too.

Well, yes. That's expected surely. First Class or Green whatever you call them are different from Standard!!!

But they do not by the time of day.
And they do not vary by date.
And have not changed in 15+ years.

Like I said, I use eki-net to buy my tickets, where the prices DO vary. Go check it out if you want.

I believe you when you say that they haven't changed in 15years, heck, I still pay 290yen to go from Ofuna to Yokohama and that has been the same for 8years or so.

No thanks I hardly even use it, but I believe it works for you.

The fact remains that generally the price of train tickets bought at the station are the same throughout the day, every day, throughout the year. Certainly round these parts anyway.

That is definitely a very different situation from, for example, the UK where almost every train in a day is a different price with wildly different prices depending on the time, and it costs you an absolute fortune if you happen to go and buy a ticket there and then at a station rather than book way in advance. And where the prices go up by huge amounts every year (up to 18% increase next spring I think I read?)

Yes UK train prices and system is madness.

There is no "basic price" from which special offers might be available... it's just all over the place.

In Japan there is a basic charge. What Rob is on about are all special reductions from that base price, special offers if you will. But if you don't take advantage of those, then you go up to a station safe in the knowledge of how much a ticket will cost.