Hi there people!

We are 4 norwegians planning to go skiing in Japan in early february 2012. Some of us went to Niseko in jan. -10, and the amount and quality of snow was astounding. This time we are looking possibly to combine Niseko with an another resort?

Any good ideas?

We are advanced telemark-skiers, and the steeper the slopes, the better. Hopefully combined with nose-deep powder smile

And we are still moderately young, so a certain amount of aprés-ski is desired as well smile

All tips and hints are welcome smile

Yours, Eirik

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shinkansen goes to Morioka (I think) in Iwate, not to Hokkaido. You'll surely be wanting to fly though I don't know much about that.

On the other end, the Nagano Shinkansen goes from Tokyo to Nagano City (then you get the bus to Hakuba, or wherever else you go in Nagano).

Can recommend Skymark airlines. They fly from Haneda to Shin Chitose, which is about 90 mins.

And then either a train to Niseko, or a bus. Both are about a 2.5hr journey though.

In Nagano you'd be able to combine a few resorts as well, Hakuba has all the points you ask and Shiga Kogen is a big rideable area but nightlife is a no-no. Air-do also do cheap flights up to Hokkaido from Tokyo

Agree on Hakuba for what you're seeking as a second venue, with maybe a few days based in Nagano to hit Shiga Kogen, Nozawa Onsen or Myoko Kogen.

Skymark Airlines has an easy-to-navigate English website for bookings; you can book up to two months in advance. Bus is better option than train for getting to Niseko from the airport, basically one every hour or so, and they take you right to the ski/lodging areas.

Echoland is ok but it's too far from the slopes for my liking. If I don't have my own transportation in Hakuba I prefer staying somewhere closer to the lifts and using a taxi or shuttle bus to go to Echoland for a drink or three!

Yeah same here.

Drove to Hakuba last year, and found that a lot of the pensions are a 10/15min drive from Echoland. A few years before that, went up by train, and got much closer to the slopes, about a 5min walk, which was about the same price as this year's pension.

Originally Posted By: DiGriz
Bus is better option than train for getting to Niseko from the airport, basically one every hour or so, and they take you right to the ski/lodging areas.

Depends. We got the train back from Kutchan last year, and loved the scenary and the views. Had time to stop off at Otaru and Sapporo which we wouldn't have done if we had taken the bus. But each to their own really. wink

I've taken the train, Man, and you're right that it's a very pretty ride -- especially along the coast. But it also costs you basically a whole day of skiing (a high price, to me, for a few snaps sadface ).

Now, if they'd change the schedule and run a Niseko Express from the airport at 9am, and a return at say 4pm, I'd be all over the train rather than those buses. friend

There is a Niseko Express and it leaves around 8am and returns at 4pm (approx). Not sure if it goes all the way from the airport or just from Sapporo.

Not showing up on ekitan.com, Fonty. Maybe it runs during the season, but even so you can't fly into Shin Chitose in the morning in time to catch it. Might be a nice choice for anyone based in Sapporo, though.

Still, realistically I'm assuming our Norweigian friends will be flying into Chitose with a boatload of gear/baggage that would be a PITA to shlep around and then finally get from Kutchan or Niseko to their lodging. Just far easier to take the airport bus.

Originally Posted By: Fonty
There is a Niseko Express and it leaves around 8am and returns at 4pm (approx). Not sure if it goes all the way from the airport or just from Sapporo.

Just from Sapporo, unfortunately. There's been a bit of pressure to make it an airport run, but JR claims it doesn't get the traffic to make it worthwhile (probably due to all the buses).

Trains will get more popular when the shinkansen arrives... if it ever does. 70 kilometers at 300kph... probably 20 minutes door-to-door!