• SnowJapan Admin

Thanks sand.

Would just like to ask people.... posting links like this, please give us a shout before posting.... just to avoid any potential 'situations'. Either PM or email.

We don't bite and are almost always very polite and friendly. wink

Thanks.

sorry David, next time I'll send a PM first.

yeah up to spend around 45 days in Hokkaido. Based in Niseko, but plan on renting and going to a few other resorts for sure. Also hoping to get into some backcountry up there if possible.

Be working damn hard on improving my fitness this year with that goal in mind. Cycling 4 times 1Hr15 at around 140BPM a week.

Yep certainly better than living the nightmare! God I hate living in Australia!!! veryangry

At least I'll never actually have to pay for lift passes at Niseko ever again... wink

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Yep certainly better than living the nightmare! God I hate living in Australia!!! veryangry

At least I'll never actually have to pay for lift passes at Niseko ever again... wink
Not sure if that means you are not going back, or that you have wangled a way to get freebies Mr Native wink

With bookings down no one is hiring snowboard instructors this season, so while the lad will keep trying, his trip might just be a few weeks holiday, boarding every day. Positives in both I suppose.

Well last year there were some guys who joined the course participants for the exam - they had worked the entire season unqualified ... so having the quallies should be enough for a foot in the door start. However given the circumstances it isn't this year.

Fortunately for him, he works for our business.

If he gets a "how quick can you get here" offer he will be able to drop and run.

It might serve him well to book the 4 weeks as a holiday and just go, but let all the local schools know that he is there, and qualified and willing to work. Even just a couple of classes will get him a reference.

GN, you thinking about heading back up to Niseko or are you sticking to the Gold Coast?

Mamabear my youngest son is working toward's that course in 2013 when he turn's 18 love to know what your son thought of it.and has he tried for work in Aus now he is qualified.I see there are other course's in NZ as well.Thank's for yourfeed back.

Originally Posted By: MitchPee

GN, you thinking about heading back up to Niseko or are you sticking to the Gold Coast?

I'm not on the Gold Coast Mitch. Nothing and I mean nothing could ever get me to live in Qld!!!
We have moved to a seaside town called Inverloch in Vic. Not a bad spot at all if you're into beach stuff!

448px-Inverloch_Aerial.jpg

We are committed here now. We've just bought a native plant nursery which we will be taking over from the start of September. I may not be overly keen on living in Australian society but I'm lookig forward to taking over the nursery. My wife and I are pretty passionate about native plants. Our landscape design business has also done a lot of the designs for the new housing developments (the streetscapes and reserves) over the last decade in the town so the nursery business will tie in well with that.
Originally Posted By: roscoe
Mamabear my youngest son is working toward's that course in 2013 when he turn's 18 love to know what your son thought of it.and has he tried for work in Aus now he is qualified.I see there are other course's in NZ as well.Thank's for yourfeed back.
Roscoe,
#2 did the course in Dec/Jan/Feb - he was JUST 17 - he is still not 18 yet, and that has held him back from getting work instructing in Aus this winter. He will definitely be trying to get a start in the hiring clinics for 2012 though.

As for the course - brilliant marvelous excellent experience, very high level of training and very very high level of standards to pass - some very skilled boarders failed the Level 2.

My son would tell you it was the highlight of his life so far. No hesitation recommending them.

That is really awesome GN. Sounds like you have the passion and knowledge to make it with that so I don't see it going anywhere but up! Best of luck, hopefully we can cross ski paths again.

Thank's Mamabear.Glad to hear he had agreat time.I thought we read that they had to be 18 years old to do the course oh well give's Jay and us longer to save we cant wait to get there for the comming season thumbsup

I'm not on the Gold Coast Mitch. Nothing and I mean nothing could ever get me to live in Qld!!!
Good strategy, every other bastard is moving up here so you might have the town to yourself soon. smile
Thank's Mamabear.Glad to hear he had agreat time.I thought we read that they had to be 18 years old to do the course oh well give's Jay and us longer to save we cant wait to get there for the comming season thumbsup
Fine print Roscoe.
18 unless under exceptional circumstances and by prior arrangement. They have to look after and be responsible for themselves, it is a liability thing, and also about keeping it serious (fun, but serious).

I enquired, we had a chat, I assured them he was mature, could cook, do his own laundry, saved his own $$ for the course, had been riding at an advanced level for a couple of years, knew Niseko like a 2nd home and would be traveling on his own for the season anyway even if he did not do the course (as he had completed high school). We didn't put any pressure on them, but given all that info they were happy to take him. At the same time we were happy to wait until the following year if that was their call.

It was a good decision. He never missed a class, sick or not. And passed the Level 2 (not everyone did).

Thank's Mamabear.Hope #2 can get a start soon Im sure there will be no stopping him then.There is acouple of guy's where I play tennis who son's instruct and build terrain park's here and in the US.Seem's once you get hooked up it fall's into place. thumbsup

Thank's Mamabear.Hope #2 can get a start soon Im sure there will be no stopping him then.There is acouple of guy's where I play tennis who son's instruct and build terrain park's here and in the US.Seem's once you get hooked up it fall's into place. thumbsup
True. smile
btw..noticed your boy is Jay...mine is Jake smile
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Yep. Thanks for the link.
Will flick it to Jake, Cheers!
Good to hear you are still living the dream Sand cheers

Yep, living the dream of teaching English in Asia. LOL.
At least in my job I can get loads of time off as requested, certainly is great when winter comes around. Realistically aiming for 50 days on the snow this coming winter, while still holding down a full-time job.