Car - engine ok, 1 wheel won't move...

OK in the floods we had last week my friend is actually away and his car was in his garage.

It seems that the water did NOT get into the exhaust, just about under that level, and that the engine seems to be ok as they can start the car no worries.

But apparently one back wheel 'won't turn', so it has been hauled off to the overcrowded car repair company.

Any ideas on what that damage might be? Just needs a bit of a clean and dry perhaps, or something more.

If it is the front , Wheel bearing is locked up. just needs wacking and grease packed in.

If rear is drum brake. it´s probably jammed a bit. Take it off and put it back in, sort of job.

(Released the hand brake but it´s still stuck or something, is it?)

That would be my guess

Originally Posted By: snowdude
My wifes Diahatsu has drum brakes, actually most of the K- cars still have drum breaks new and old.
Wow...I thought they would be phased out all over by now.

Cause and effect. Nothing else had contact or affected the car since it was garaged.

When the hand brake is on, the brake pads are pressed onto the drums.

This surface contact is rather large and the water rusts the surface of the drums (and some iron that came off the drum and impregnated onto the brake pads) and bonds. It increases the friction the of the surfaces on all parts inside the drums.

That´s what I leant, but my personal theory is, its a bit like sharpening a knife on a whet stone. the muddy thing makes the smooth surface of metal and the stone stick creating a vaccume. If I leave that to dry, it will not only rust but the mud will act like glue.

Not sure the details but happily it wasn't anything major. They are charging 20,000 yen for picking up the car, doing the tests and doing something to that back wheel. Sounds like it could have been much worse so I think he'll be pretty relieved.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Cause and effect. Nothing else had contact or affected the car since it was garaged.
When the hand brake is on, the brake pads are pressed onto the drums.
This surface contact is rather large and the water rusts the surface of the drums (and some iron that came off the drum and impregnated onto the brake pads) and bonds. It increases the friction the of the surfaces on all parts inside the drums.
That´s what I leant, but my personal theory is, its a bit like sharpening a knife on a whet stone. the muddy thing makes the smooth surface of metal and the stone stick creating a vaccume. If I leave that to dry, it will not only rust but the mud will act like glue.

That's pretty much correct - the pads will "bond" to the inside of the drum by the rust. I've seen this happen a lot in older trucks with rear drum brakes after deep fording. The easy cure is parking the vehicle with the wheels blocked and leave the parking brake off so the pads aren't tight against the drum. That way they can dry out without the pads and drums rusting together.

What Pete said can happen too, where the parking brake cable rusts inside its sheath/housing and won't release the brake mechanism.

Good to hear everything was worked out for not a whole lot of money!
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: snowdude
My wifes Diahatsu has drum brakes, actually most of the K- cars still have drum breaks new and old.
Wow...I thought they would be phased out all over by now.

Even some current "all disc" cars still use small drum brakes as parking brakes hidden inside the rear brake rotor hats, so you can still have this happening in a 4-wheel disc brake vehicle.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Would be an OLD car with drums.
I used to drive an old 1954 FJ Holden - drums front and back - took ages to actually stop.

1964 US-market Ford Falcon - all drums... maybe not even boosted! White knuckle experience. It didn't have a lot of "go", but it had even less "stop"!

Yes, he's pleased Ezorisu.

I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

I have heard of lots of cars being flooded to the extent that they were damaged far more seriously. The car companies in this part of the world are rather busy right now.