Japanese schools = teach ski? What about boarding?

From what I have seen, Japanese schools in snow regions teach children here skiing and cc-skiing from elementary school. But what about boarding?

I asked a Japanese friend who is a teacher in a chugakko in Nagano and they said that as far as they know it is all skiing being taught not boarding.

Anyone know any different or anything else?

Not all learning just Skiing,

About 3 weeks ago my mate went with and taught a school group for 3 days. Depends on the school and the teachers that decide the activities. On this occasion the teacher knew my friend who is a level 1 instructor and offered him the gig. maybe if he didn't know him they would have gone sith the sticks?

I asked a colleague about that just now and they learnt skiing when they were at school (in Iwate) 15 years ago. Of course there was no snowboarding around then, but he says his son is doing the skiing thing and the school doesn't do any snowboarding.

It's probably just a matter of time.

I've seen both, but school skiers appear to be in abundance. Just last week I was thinking about this at the local resort watching about 30 - 40 junior high kids slip & slide. All were on skis and my perhaps "over simplified" reasoning of why, is the equipment. All were on skis, that judging by their shape, colors & designs were vintage. And the boots reflected this. No doubt these numbers have been trotted out for years & years representing BIG savings. Kitting all in boarder goodies would not represent value for the rental shops. If left to the kids choice, thousands of twin sticks and gear would be redundant coz no self respecting "other skier" would rent them. ;\)

my friend's an aet at a sports high school in iiyama, nagano. at his school, the PE course students do either cross country skiing, ski jumping, alpine skiing, and a couple do freestyle/moguls as part of their course. During the winter they do about three or four days of training a week, in summer its mostly just afternoons, they go out on the summer skis or go running. They get easier tests, and even though some of them do virtually no schoolwork, the school grades them easy and graduates them anyway. there's no snowboarding as part of the official course, but there is one teacher who sometimes teaches it.

When I've seen groups learning at Nozawa, they seem to start the day with a prolonged yelling exercise. I'm sure group yelling is very beneficial to skiing form and technique, and any time spent on it will repay valuable dividends. I also find that 20 voices screaming in unison over a snowy landscape is very inspiring and makes me want to challenge more.

Ive seen kids doing their school excursion on boards. I think some places let them choose and some just say nope youre skiing.

It was funny. The boards were sooo small for the little kiddies awwww \:\)

• 3 weeks later...